Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dental phobia

Re: Dental phobia

I've had severe fear for the dentist as well.. My teeth were in a horrible state due to some problems at childhood with meds that broke down my enamel.

At one point it was so bad that it couldn't be rescued any more, so I needed total extraction. It took me years to do it. At one point I actually found a dentist that was great in talking me trough it. I went every time with a lot of fear and panic (and with my boyfriend because I sure as hell didn't dare to go alone). And he only went as far as I agreed on that time. Sometimes that meant I would only let him look in my mouth, sometimes he would be allowed to take a tooth out...

It took a long time but in the end I gained trust in dentists back and I now have a wonderful smile again.

Previous to finding this dentist I tried so much things. (Take a bunch of valium/Hypnosis/Just wait untill the pain is unbearable) But in the end of the day, the clue was finding a dentist that understood me and was willing to work with my limits. By respecting my limits I felt safe and was willing to expand them.

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time at the moment.

I had toothache, which they thought was sinus related, then at easter I had terrible pain. I am able to take painkillers, but none of them worked at all. I got a friend to drive me to out of hours surgery where they prescribed antibiotics. Since then I had more antibiotics because it was still infected.

I went to my dentist, who is really lovely, and was going to have work done but couldn't go through with it. She has referred me for sedation which I am having on Monday, and very anxious!

I can take diazepam night before and in the morning, but a dental/medical phobic friend of mine had wisdom teeth out under sedation and said it is fine. My husband is taking me there and bringing me home.

Sadly, I can't help much, only give my sympathy and understanding for your situation. The people at the sedation clinic are used to dealing with anxious/panicky patients and say they allow as much time as each person needs.

Also, I do find that when I have my period I am much more anxious... strange but true. Maybe its the extra hormones?

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.So sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Insomniac - please will you let me know what happens with the sedation? I've been referred for it but no date through yet. My dentist said you don't remember anything and just feel calm.

Thank you for the replies. I'm sure it will all go well on Monday, but do please let me know how you get on. I'm not sure I would be eligible for it in light of my bp reading not being accurate as I freak out lol. Sending positive thoughts your way insomniac

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

Oh and I STILL have toothache : ( grrrrr! Why can't life just be straightforward??!??

lizzie29 and purpletoblack - I will do. I may not post on Monday if I'm too sleepy, but will aim for Tuesday and hope I'm more with it. Thank you for your kind thoughts. I just hope I'm brave enough to go through with it. I'm pretty anxious today.

I'm going to try to think positive and that they will not do anything until I am ready, and I can be certain I am numb in body & brain!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.So sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Positive thinking is a good way to go. I wish now I had tried it when I had the chance as this toothache is wearing me out. Good luck for tomorrow

I hope all went well Insomniac! Lots of hugs for you and I hope you feel better afterwards!

Re: Dental phobia - success!

Well I have to say that is the way to go if you need a tooth taken out!

I was nervous the night before (and days before), so I took 5mg diazepam before sleep, and then another 1 hour before the appointment.

My hubby drove us to the clinic, where everyone was really calm and kind. There was no overwhelming smell of dentist or anything like that.

When I went in I explained about previous bad experience. Also about my concern that if the sedative made me feel woozy that would make me feel panicky. The dental nurse said no need to worry about that because it happens so fast there is no time to panic. Which did make me feel better!

They can numb your hand before putting in the needle, then they gave me one shot, a minute later another shot, which I was hardly aware of they were so quick and professional. Then Daryl left the room and I remember nothing else.

I started to feel more aware (it feels like waking up even though you haven't been asleep). The nurse helped me up and walked me through to where my husband was waiting. You sit there for a while so they can assess any bleeding and make sure you are ok. Then you're allowed home.

It was the most pain-free and stress-free medical experience I have ever had. It was worth the wait for an appointment for referral to an NHS dental sedation clinic.

Hope my experience helps. If you have any questions, just ask.

Awww so pleased it went well for you. Did they take your bp that's the part that worries me. Hopefully after a couple of cbt sessions ill be able to take valium to calm me down in situations like that. So pleased for you and a huge well done for going through with it : )

I am having mine done in the morning with sedation. I need the tooth taking out. The dentist I saw this morning for the consultation was really lovely. He said after all the years he has been treating patients with anxiety I am the most nervous one he has ever seen :(

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information