Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 1 on Citalopram

Day 1 on Citalopram

I just started taking Citalopram - 10 mg easing up to 20 mg. I've never taken any medication before, and reading about the side effects makes me so nervous!

How soon do side effects start? How soon will you know if you're going to have a bad ride of it? I already have nausea associated with my anxiety, so this is the side effect that is giving me the most stress.

Anyone have more experience with this and feel like sharing?

Re: Day 1 on Citalopram

Hey. There's no real set time for potential side effects, the most specific you could be is "within the first few weeks", for me personally it was maybe day 3-10, but I think this was from starting straight into 20mg, as soon as I dropped back to 10mg things were much easier. The bet thing is just take it day by day, they're just side effects and are transient, at worst they're usually just unpleasant. It's day 22 now I think and no real side effects any more, just a messed up sleeping pattern. I think it's important to remember everyone is nervous starting off on medication. This is my second time on an SSRI, and it freaked me out so bad to start them again, even though I had great success with them first time around, and even now it's coming to time to up to 20mg and I'm nervous about that too, it's just human nature. Just stay chilled out and take each day as it comes, it can be a tough few weeks for some and easy for others, but the important thing to remember is that it's all part of getting on the road to recovery so keep your goal in mind. Things will get better!

Thanks Bryan, very helpful. I'm going to take it day by day! And try and go with the flow on this.

For those who are just starting and are interested, I took my first dose, 10 mg, about 10 hours ago and have had no side effects yet. Hoping it stays this way but will post if anything does happen.

Blair, I felt side effects very quickly, certainly within days. The first thing I noticed was the stomach upset, which then became general loss of appetite. The mental side effects didn't come until about a week in.

Like you I also started at 10 mg, with the idea being to go to 20 before too long if all goes well. Maybe another week or so... I am on day 12.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Keith.

So far it's been fine. Took my second 10 mg a few hours ago and still no side effects. I didn't sleep very well last night, but that is fairly normal for me.

I have been taking it with a big breakfast, and my doctor told me to just keep eating and it will help with any nausea. So far that has been working. Thanks for the support this far - I will continue to update!

Good. Have you disclosed to someone... a friend/family member... that you're starting? If not, I recommend it. Of course, we've got you covered online but I strongly recommend having someone there local to give you a pat on the back and encourage you through the first few weeks.

I just spontaneously got some appetite back and seized on the opportunity to have a nice, big, tasty bowl of chili! Little victories. This is good, I lost 5 lbs over the first 12 days due to lack of appetite.

You'll do well.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, I live with my bf and he knows exactly what's going on. I also have a good friend who has been on SSRIs before (though not this one) and I've been talking to her a lot.

My father also suffers from anxiety and has been on 20 mg of citalopram for years. It's worked well for him and he doesn't remember bad side effects, but it's hard to remember that far back. I've been talking to him a lot as I've started this process too.

It's so nice to see other people going through the same things! What a great site.

And for those who are scared to try it, still no side effects for me

Alright, nearing the end of day 2. I haven't felt awesome today, but honestly it could have been any other Monday. I feel a bit unsettled, it was harder to concentrate on work today, and I'm tired.

Appetite isn't at 100% but I ate all my meals. Hoping I can get to sleep tonight, then on to day 3!

Day 3!

Today was tougher than the first two days. I felt a little shaky, my thoughts were all over the place, and I generally felt anxious and agitated.

My doctor gave me .25 mg of diazepam as a back up until the citalopram kicks in, and I took one today and it helped a lot with side effects. I had quite a bit to get done at work today, as well as a root canal (yuck!) and I'm not sure I would have gotten through without a little help!

Tomorrow should be an easier work day, so I'm hoping to power through without any help from diazepam (and save that for the emergencies).

Overall, I feel like this is unpleasant, but tolerable. I've had most of these side effects from anxiety anyway, although usually not for days straight. Rationally, I know I will feel better soon, so I'm powering forward!

Take care all!

Day 4!

Easily the best day yet. So far I have still had trouble sleeping, but today was pretty good. My headache was finally gone! Still felt a bit jittery in the afternoon, but my overall mood was much better. Also, I felt real hunger for the first time since I started. It was like a cloud was lifted.

I know it is very early so I am prepared for more days of side effects in my future, but today was very nice.

The next step will be to bump it up to 20 mg. My doctor basically left it up to me and just said to take 10 mg for a bit then move on to 20 mg. Any advice about when it's time to increase your dose?

Take care!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information