Thread: Returning to work after depression

Returning to work after depression

For those of you who have been off work for some time due to depression what was it like going back? Did you dread it? How did your collegues treat you?

Re: Returning to work after depression

Anyone?

I've never been off work for more than a week or so at a time, and I was dreading going back (due to what people might say) but when I went back everything was fine. My manager knew why I was off sick as obviously he had seen my doctor's certificate, but I didn't explain it to anyone else. No one at work asked me any awkward questions (they asked me if I was OK and said they were glad to see me again). On my return I had a back-to-work interview with my manager. It went pretty well and my manager seemed understanding. He asked if there was anything he could do to help reduce my anxiety (although I did say it's not all work related, most of it is to do with personal problems) so I suggested being given more training for my job to improve my confidence with my tasks, and he agreed that would be a good idea.

I hope this reassures you.

I've just been off for 3 weeks. I made sure I kept in touch with my line manager & explained everything. I told him I didn't want everyone knowing why I'd been off. He was great. Nobody at work has really asked what was wrong, just if I'm feeling better.

It was a bit daunting going back, but it's nice to have some 'normality' & I find that being at work helps to distract me from the anxiety.

ive been off 4 weeks so far, not gone back yet but my work mates have been texting, phoning and ive met up with one of them. My boss has phoned me every week to see how im doing. My boss was the only one who knew I was off due to anxiety, but ive since told the others who are completely fine with it, some even telling me of similar experiences and not to worry. I don't really want to go back yet but I feel when I do, my collegues will be supportive so im not too afraid!!!! xxxxx

Thank you very much for all your replies they are helpful and very encouraging.

When i go back to work everyone knows that i've been off with depression so i am a bit concerned with how people will react. I'm hoping it will be ok so i can get back to doing my job the best i can without worrying.

Thread Information