Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram after 5 weeks.

Re: Citalopram after 5 weeks.

I find distracting myself to be a very difficult game. I really can't get enthused about doing anything and even if I do my physical anxiety symptoms make doing anything quite a challenge. I really hate being like this as it's completely taking over my life. I'm certainly worse since starting the citalopram, but I'm really hoping to see some improvement soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dimond View Post
    I find distracting myself to be a very difficult game. I really can't get enthused about doing anything and even if I do my physical anxiety symptoms make doing anything quite a challenge. I really hate being like this as it's completely taking over my life. I'm certainly worse since starting the citalopram, but I'm really hoping to see some improvement soon.
    Thats exactly how it is for me too Jon. But I truly hope to be seeing some improvement by the time I get to week 5! Hang on in there!

I've got my son to look after today too, only for 4 hours whilst my partner is at work. I love him to bits, but feel really guilty that it's an afternoon stuck in the house for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dimond View Post
    I've got my son to look after today too, only for 4 hours whilst my partner is at work. I love him to bits, but feel really guilty that it's an afternoon stuck in the house for him.
    Then try to get out for a bit! Just little steps. It can really help to get out and engage with people and remember what it's like to be social; maybe find someone chatty. I suspect that you'll be turning the corner soon.

As I wrote in my thread, I had a positive thought about this rough start that we all go through. I think it may help us develop the techniques to nip negative / anxiety-inducing thoughts in the bud. It's hard but if you can identify right when they start and immediately displace that thought to something positive... even if it's just some inane conversation or chewing bubblegum or writing on here...!

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well yesterday turned out to be a difficult day, but it did seem to improve into the late afternoon and evening. My mum came around for a cuppa and a chat which was nice.

Thos morning I woke up at around 8ish feeling relatively calm, then the thoughts started, but they don't seem to be quite as bad so far today. I feel a bit physically poor, foggy head etc. Going to go out somewhere with my partner and the boy.

I was contemplating seeing my GP today, but I might wait until my appointment next week now.

Another awful morning here. My negative thoughts have exhausted my fight already today and my body feels horribly tense and on edge. I'm very much struggling at the moment.

Has anyone worked out why the earlier part of the day is so much worse than the later part?

When do you take your medicine? Timing might have something to do with it.

I take mine in the mornings and always feel worse 5-8 hours later. I don't know the science behind it but just assumed this was how long it took to be fully absorbed so I feel it most then.

Another theory (and this is just thinking, no proof behind it) is that at least for me, eating and drinking water seem to decrease my side effects. Maybe morning is hard because you've had a long break from both those activities.

My "theories" really only work if you take your pill at night, but I thought I would give you some guesses as to why mornings are worse. You can always play around with timing to see if taking it earlier or later helps those morning side effects.

I take mine at about 11am, normally before any food as I really have no appetite. I asked my GP about taking them at different times, but she said it wouldn't matter. I do wonder if some of the dose has worn off by the next morning.

I'm going to see a locum at my surgery this afternoon as I really am not coping well. So I'll discuss with her what she thinks is the best move. I reckon I'm 2-3 times worse than before the meds at the moment and have most of the crappy side effects.

I really hope you feel better soon. I know this is a long process and it is so hard to keep going when you know that pill is going to make you feel worse before it gets better.

Talk to the doc and see if there is anything you can do in the mean time.

Take care!

I think Blair is on to something, and how and when you eat definitely has some effect.

Like you, Jon, I have zero appetite in the first part of the day- my stomach is usually unsettled. I just get some tea and a cereal bar and then take the meds with that. I never, ever take the meds on a empty stomach.

Appetite and the natural cycles of eating and sleeping are very important when confronting depression. Way back when in grad school, a therapist had me right out a schedule of my eating and sleeping habits, and it turned out that they were all over the place. That turned out to be the source of my mood problems, I just wasn't allowing myself to reach any kid of normal rhythm. Once I fixed that... big change.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information