Thread: Is chrons or ulcerative colitis life threatening?

Is chrons or ulcerative colitis life threatening?

I do not want to google! I didnt think they were but my HA is making me want to google as I've had mucus after a BM and even though its probs IBS, im thinking its not! xx

Re: Is chrons or ulcerative colitis life threatening?

My Grandma had Chrons and she lived to be 96 It is very manageable I have IBS and so does my Dad and as far as I know just make sure you drink plenty of water when it is acting up and you'll be fine. Stress can really get my IBS going and I worried that it was more.... went to the ER 3 times, then went to a Gastro and had a colonoscopy and upper G.I because I somehow convinced the doctor that I had something seriously wrong with me.... the results??? Nothing!!! Just occasional IBS I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you! My IBS tends to come and go, I know I've had this mucus in the past but never this much! Its been happening every day for about 3 weeks! Im sure once it stops i wont think of it again! xx

You are very welcome and yes I know what you mean when you say you won't think of it again, that is what I do I have not worried about my stomach in a long time, that anxiety has not crept back. It has been other things ( currently Melanoma) The Melanoma anxiety is a recurring anxiety, not sure why that one comes back so often! Brain cancer is a big one for me as well. This HA sure is a pain in the butt huh

I wouldn't say life threatening but life changing.

Have you talked to your doc about all of this?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Summer55! I know what you mean, with most things once its gone I don't think about it again, but I seem to have a big issue with female cancers, I think they are my worst fear!

Hi Nicola, no I've not spoke to my docs about it - When I was told I probably had IBS this was one of my symptoms, I think cause I've not had a flare up in a while it was a bit scary for me. I recently had piles (sorry TMI) and I wasn't sure if they could cause it but they have now gone - as fas as I'm aware. My dad has ulcerative colitis and has been very ill over the years, so I dont think its that as im not really 'unwell' just the odd bout of diarrhoea and period like type pain before I pass wind. Which I think are all IBS related? xx

Hi sorry you are feeling a little worried, I have UC and was diagnosed 2011 before that I had IBS since my early 20s, the colitis was I am told triggered by a really bad dose of food poisoning and quitting smoking didn’t help.
    I was and still am assured that IBS does not change to crones or colitis just one of those things that happen, just a bad coincidence.
    My IBS had not reared its ugly head since I was in my 40s and like you I would get mucus quite bad and piles as well which can also cause mucus, piles are an inflammation of the rectum so hence the mucus.
    I am sure that if you check with the doc he will reassure you as well.
    UC and crones is a horrid disease but with the technology and medication they have today it’s controllable but not curable.

Thank you for your reply! It was helpful! I'm sorry to see that you have UC - My dad suffers quite badly and was in and out of hospital for many years! Im now quite reassured that what Im experiencing is IBS! xx

That’s great and I am so glad we can help to ease your mind if only a little, you did the rest by being logical, IBS is crap too but nothing more, stress was always my trigger.
    Sorry your Dad has UC its crapper LOL but funny before I was diagnosed I was beyond terrified, but once I knew it wasn’t bowel cancer which they said it could be it didn’t seem quite so bad, I know it’s not good but better than the other, the mind is a wonderful thing isn’t it and so powerful.

I know it is strange! As I know that mucus and stuff is a sign of UC and chrons I wasn't in my usual state of terror as I knew it wasn't BC! The mind is a very powerful thing - too powerful for my liking! xx

Thread Information