Thread: More Heart Worries

More Heart Worries

I cannot stop worrying about my heart. About 3 weeks ago I had a lot of heart related anxiety and I was constantly worried abotu a high pulse rate. I was in a small sporting event (auto race) which helped calm those feelings down, because I was able to do everything without issue. Here is some background. I am a 22 year old male, my normal calm blood pressure is around 120/80 give or take 3 to 5 poiints, my normal resting pulse is 60 to 65. Last night I was beginning to have acid reflux and went to take medicine in the process of getting that I felt a pop in my chest when I straightening my back up. This worried me even though it didnt seem to do anything. Almost seemed moreon the right side, I got my mom who said my heart was beating normally. I sat calmly or awhile. I decided to just take pulse and make sure all was normal (how I do it is putting hand over my chest and feeling beats which I have determined to be relatively accurate for me. When I started this very short walk it was 95 after hopping up and walking, a perfectly normal number. I stopped rested for a few seconds, and it was 70, but I waited a small amount more time and took it one more time This time it came out to 59-60. And that freaked me out.

Im not sure if 59-60 is too low for a standing calm pulse rate, because its right at my resting sitting pulse rate (I have seen 59's sitting calmly). This made me flip out and start taking it on the machine . My blood pressure was up but I was panicking a that point. Each time taking it on the machine sitting my pulse was a normal 64-72 range. Every other check I did pulse wise came back normal. I calmed down, and I decided I'd check it one more time cause I did have a tight feeling in the chest and some other bad anxiety symptoms. I had been siting calmly for about 30 minutes, I stood up, walked quickly to the blood pressure machine on my bed. Took it..it inflated to its normal number, but re-inflated which may mean it didnt go high enough on its first inflation..Which if true would have put my blood pressure top number at maybe even 180, but im not sure if it was..Both times it did that I panicked and shut it of and got my parents. I sat calmly for 2 minutes and took it..I think it was 122/81, two more times I took it then it was in the 120/80 area. Pulse also normal. The two more times I checked it that night it was normal for what I was doing.

Im not sure how it works physically if that 60 I recorded after standing calmly for a few seconds is too low, because that is my average sitting resting heart rate. The way I take it also leads to the possibility that there was a small error which would have made it slightly slow. Because everytime I took it on the machine it was no lower than 64. But only 65 standing, so if you are standing calmly is it normal for your pulse to be around your resting heart rate?

Thanks

Re: More Heart Worries

Hi there,
    I'm not very sure about heart rates and pulse rates.
    I do know that when I'm anxious, my BP is regularly raised.
    Best to get a check up from the docs to put your mind at rest.
    Good luck.

My heart worries have returned with a vengeance after 3 consecutive days of severe anxiety and 2 panic attacks. My issue is racing heart rather than slow pulse. I am reassured when my pulse is back in the 60's.

My usual resting heart rate is about 64-68. When I first wake up, it is more like 56-60.

When I walk without anxiety it settles at about 80-84. That is a pretty brisk walk.

When I have anxiety, you can add 20 to all those figures. When I am panicking, it is closer to 120/140.

The fact that I know all this sums up my Health Anxiety and how often I check my pulse. God, I wish this would all stop. Having a terrible few days.

Charlie

My usual resting rate is anywhere from 60-65..I've seen 59 not too long ago as well. And that was at a doctors office heh. When I walk my pulse runs 85-95. This 60 I got was after standing calmly for a little bit I registered that 60...Now im not sure how accurate that 60 was, because in the 10-15 times I took it on the machine last night it was never that low. I just took it a bit ago it was 128/89 pulse 75...bit high but not terrible for how I feel. Pulse was good for me. Im thinking if there was a serious issue, it wouldnt have gone away. Its been 11 hours now. I've had my heart checked at the end of 2011 extensively and it was said to be very good, EKG last december, and listened to about 2 months ago by a doc.

Hey Trbfan,

I'm 26 and just like you I always worry about my heart. I'm very fit so I have a low resting heart rate. For example, I'm sitting on the couch watching TV and my pulse is about 47. Throughout the day walking around its 50-65, never higher. The hardest part about heart anxiety is to believe you're fine and to stop checking your pulse. You will literally drive yourself crazy! I had 24 holter monitor the other day because I was worry about my low heart rate and skipped beats and found out that my heart rate drops to 33 when I'm sleeping. My doctor didn't seem convened at all and said since my fitness levels are good it's very common for heart rates to drop that low. It means your heart doesn't have to work as hard because its strong. I wouldn't worry

I had preeclampsia with a pregnancy of mine. My pulse was 34 at one point because my pressure was 190/110's...the cardiologist explained to me that my pulse was doing its job compensating for my high BP by dipping really low as to not flood my organs with too much blood flow. I asked about when I should be concerned...he said that as long as I don't pass out, it's fine.
    My normal hr now easily can dip into the 50s at rest. No, I'm not a runner, either...however, my hr can also race into the 100s. It can vary for so any reasons...having a cold or being sick, dehydrated, stress or anxiety can play a part, too....try not to worry...easier said, I know!

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm new. I'm writing this in the middle of the night because I woke up a couple of hours ago & had a huge panic attack.

I'm finding it really difficult to calm down & feel like I 'll have another one.

I've been suffering from anxiety for a couple of weeks & just started taking citralopram. I haven't had a panic attack til now & was wondering if this could be the cause?

Thread Information