Thread: Worsening Depression.

Worsening Depression.

I've been solely on 60mg of Duloxetine for 7 days now and apart from a little queasiness, feeling cold and difficulty sleeping(all minor except the sleeping), I don't feel anything, it's almost as if I'm not taking anything and the last 2 or 3 days I've felt so down. In the past I've thought of suicide although I'd never do it, I have thought about and I am again. I have no motivation, I literally can't be bothered with anything. My dad used to say I have to push myself, and I am, everyday. I have cats and if it wasn't for them I'd stay in bed all day. I have no family(the last of my relatives died October 2009 and my dad August 2009), no friends(thanks to a controlling ex and a lack of confidence). My son lives with me, but he's 21 and goes to uni, he has his own life and we don't do much together now he's older.
    Finally the reason for my post is to ask, is it usual for a medication such as this to worsen depression in the early days of taking it? I know it can make anxiety worse.
    Sorry if my post is untidy, I have an untidy mind at the moment.

Lynn

Re: Worsening Depression.

I don't know about duloxeine, but I know that fluoxetine, paroxetine and citalopram all take a few weeks (sometimes longer) to take effect.

I am on citalopram and the first few weeks I felt worse before I felt better, I am only on week 6 and am still not quite there yet.

Hope your medication kicks in soon.

Hi Lynn

If you have suicidal thoughts you must see a GP as this can be a side effect of the medication.

The first 3 days at 60mg I barely got out of bed

As for the "can't be bothered" feeling, I had that for a couple of weeks at 60mg, I felt so tired and rough I was planning on dropping to 30mg in readiness to come off them.

But the next day I woke up feeling great. This feeling has lessened a wee bit over the last week, but my anxiety is certainly more managable at the moment, and I no longer have to drag myself out of the house.

Thanks both for your replies.
    Today is a bit better.

Re suicidal thoughts, that's all they are. I'd never do it, it's just that sometimes, well most times I feel like I'm a waste of skin and bone, and that I don't matter. I will keep an eye on myself, and if I'm still bothered by them in 2 weeks when I have a Dr's appointment, I'll tell him and of course, if I feel worse in the meantime, I'll get an earlier appointment.

Do you know if I can take Nytol with Duloxetine? The sleep thing is still pants.

Lynn.
    Last edited by *willow*; 18-05-13 at 17:43. Reason: Mistake with smilies

I've been on Duloxetine for about a year and it is really helping me but it took about a month to work. And yes, it can make you feel worse before you feel better but stick with it. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

Glad to see you posting here again Baggs.

You were one of the main reasons I tried duloxetine, as it obviously is working for you.

I had a rough few weeks initially but am settling down now.

Only sexual side effects and insomnia remain, although the latter is helped with mirtazapine.

Lynn, obviously you take any drug at your own risk, but from what I've read, the worst effect from Nytol in conjunction with duloxetine is that it may enhance the side effects of both so be prepared to be out like a light for 10 hours

Ooh, I don't think I'd better risk it, maybe split a Nytol maybe.

Yesterday I felt reasonable, no crappy thoughts. Today a whole different story, negative thoughts galore. How in the world can 2 days be so completely different, I hate it.

Lynn.

It is weird how things change, I have been taking Citalopram 40mg for 2 weeks and was feeling okish, then this weekend I have felt rubbish, no appetite, stomach issues, panicky - I just wish things would settle down. I have also got the negative thoughts back too....

I really understand when you say you hate it

Lynn - I was very up and down for a couple of weeks, but from my experience it does even out. If you ride out the rough times I'm sure you'll come out feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot-the-frog View Post
    It is weird how things change, I have been taking Citalopram 40mg for 2 weeks and was feeling okish, then this weekend I have felt rubbish, no appetite, stomach issues, panicky - I just wish things would settle down. I have also got the negative thoughts back too....

I really understand when you say you hate it

I was on Citalopram a few years ago too. After the start up side effects of feeling sick and no appetite, it really helped, in fact if it wasn't for those I would have completely lost it when my dad died, but when I think back, I was strangely calm, maybe they numbed me I don't know.

Lynn.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:02 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
    Lynn - I was very up and down for a couple of weeks, but from my experience it does even out. If you ride out the rough times I'm sure you'll come out feeling better.

I keep forgetting its still early days for me, I'm coming up to the end of the second week on Duloxetine alone so I'm bound to be a bit wobbly still.

Don't feel too bad today I've even bought some paint to paint my hallway! When I'll start it yet though remains to be seen, still it's a start I suppose.

I had counselling a few years ago and it was 6 weeks of wasted time, but I'm thinking about it again, or maybe CBT. I have to feel I'm in control of this even if I'm not, making a plan sort of helps (hope that makes sense).

Lynn.

Thread Information