Thread: A couple of tips

A couple of tips

Here are a couple of tips from me - one is what I have gained comfort from, during my illness, and the other is one passed on to me from a psychologist.

1. Sticks and stones...

I carry a "worry stone" with me, all the time. This is a small piece of natural stone (small enough to fit in my palm, so easily carried in a pocket or handbag for when you need it!), which in my case is flat, and has a groove in the centre the width of a thumb. The idea of this is that when you find that you're getting panicky, stick your hand in your pocket, and rub your stone! I find the coolness of the natural stone comforting when I'm getting hot through panic, and the action of rubbing the stone gives you something else to think about

Mine was actually bought for me, and was called a "worry stone" on the packaging, but it is a bit battered and broken now, so I also have two others - a piece of smooth haematite, and a lump of amethyst. You should be able to get these from any 'new age' or 'crystal shops', and some stones even have special properties attached to them

2. The "Awareness Continuum"

This is a technique a psychologist taught me, for distracting me during a panic attack. It's very simple All you do is, when you feel panicky, start saying to yourself (out loud, if you can):
    "I'm aware that [enter something you can see here]..
    I'm aware that [enter something else you can see here].."

For example:
    "I'm aware that there is a lady walking a dog...
    I'm aware that the dog has a bow in its hair...
    I'm aware that the lady is wearing a flowery skirt...
    I'm aware that there is a man riding a bicycle... etc. etc."

Repeat this over and over and over. By the time you've said the first thing, you will have found something else to be aware of in your next statement [8)]

I do this, and it has taken my mind off things on multiple occasions, bringing me 'down' more quickly in the process. It also works just as well whilst you're driving ("I'm aware that the car in front is red...I'm aware that it has a car seat...")

Other things along this same line that I've tried are "I went to the supermarket and I bought..", working my way up the alphabet, and even sometimes doing the alphabet in reverse, so I have to concentrate more.

I hope this helps someone!

Brilliant ideas, Leah. Thank you.
    Christine

Hi Leah,

Thanks for the tips...will give them a go next time I felt anxious. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Take care

sadie

hi leah,
    great tips, you made good choices of stones hematite helps you cope with stress and is a very optimistic inspirer of will and courage. amethyst is the 'elevator' inspires healing, love, inspiration, intuition and loads more.
    i will try the 'i'm aware of...' next time i'm out, i like the sound of it. thanks for passing it on

xxx grace

Thread Information