Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline weight gain ?

Question Sertraline weight gain ?

Hi everyone,

I have gained on prozac and citalopram in the past and decided to take Sertraline before I lost my mind . I have gained lots of both drugs which eventually negated their effects and am feeling really petrified about gaining on Sertraline. I was wondering if anyone could share their experience or answer how long it took to notice you were gaining ? I have an eating disorder so weight is a very difficult thing for me .

No doctors I see will ever admit to SSRI's causing weight gain even though I challenge them with the amount of information online from actual personal experience?!

Thanks

Re: Sertraline weight gain ?

Yes, I'm intrigued about this too.
    I've been on citalopram for a while now and can feel the weight creeping up on me again.
    Would like to hear more about this drug.

I gained 3 1/2 stone on venlafaxine. I did gain on citalopram and clomipramine but not as much. 3 months on Sertraline and do have increased appetite but not sure if have put weight on. I did lose weight at first. I was underweight due to my anxiety so needed a bit of weight gain. Doctor told me that Sertraline is the least likely to make you put on weight and from reading others posts it seems very much a individual thing if you gain weight, stay the same or indeed lose weight. The other ssri's made me very tired and brought my metabolism to a standstill. Sertraline did make me tired but that has passed now. They are meant to be stimulating. Weight gain was reason stopped the others so really hoping it dosent happen again.

Thanks for your replies guys. Think you are right Maro, seems to be a very personal thing on this drug. Anyone else feel free to comment ,any experience on Sertraline is welcome !

I didn't gain on zoloft, venlafaxine, or citalopram (the one I'm on now). In fact I lost... quite a lot. Enough to be concerning, actually. I suppose most of the loss was just due to initial stomach upset, and I never stayed on any of these longer than a half year so maybe I never reached the point of gaining ' happy fat' The other thing is that when I feel better, I do seek exercise.

Indeed, like many things associated with these meds, it appears to be very individual...

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm hoping to gain weight on Sert lol. I lost alot of weight due to my anxiety and now I'm just under 8 stone and eating alot but no weight is going on which I want (even a few pounds)

It so strange. I have read of people putting 50 pounds on with sertraline and others having to stop it as made them dangerously underweight. Have heard it can be prescribed to patients for weight management. Would think there would be more consistency

Don't say that Maro lol. Don't want to lose anymore and don't want to come off the Sert

Quote Originally Posted by skoosh1 View Post
    Don't say that Maro lol. Don't want to lose anymore and don't want to come off the Sert
    Lol sorry. I do kind of know how you feel. Anxiety/depression made me pretty underweight. I think some of it had to do with worrying and obsessing about everything I ate. Now I have a chocolate addiction lol. Oh and endless cups of tea. Better than the alcohol addiction it has given others.

Alcohol addiction? What sertraline specifically or ssris in general?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information