Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: meds i cant do it

meds i cant do it

sorry if this post is abit long but just need to talk to some one , my problem is that i have had GAd for 7yrs now had cbt twice first time 2yrs ago and the second one i finished in march ,it has helped me alittle bit but because my anxiety is still high everyday my gp told me i need to take ciptromal 10mg and he referd me for futher cbt again as the meds and cbt will make me better .but the cbt therapy worker foned me on fri and said that they cant help me this time round i have to wait at least another 6mhths to a year to see how i go .but the main broblem is that i just cant take the meds im so scared and i have got myself in such a state because i if i dont take the meds my gp will not help me nomore as he will say im not helping myself becauseim not taking the pills. deep down i dont want to take them and now im to scared to go and see my gp about anything because last week when i went to see him about my breathing and to get my xray results he told me i had early signs of copd and that because im always asking for reasurrance either from him or nhs direct i have to start and learn to start and think for myself and to take the meds so i just dont know know wat to do and im just keep beating myself up about worring weather i should or shouldnt take the meds. as i keep telling myself ive had the anxiety now for the last 7yrs andnever took meds for it, so i can carry one without them , i just dont know what to do . sorry if this doesnt make any sence think i just want someone elses opion on weather i have to listen to my gp or let me make my own mind up and can my gp refuse to help me anymore thk u

Re: meds i cant do it

Hello. Sorry to hear you are struggling :(

Do you mind if I ask why you can't/wont take the prescribed meds?

I too am afraid of meds due to having anaphylaxis or something even though its highly unlikely. I know I need to take them as im not getting better and sorry to be blunt but if youve been like this for 7 years without meds then you like me arnt getting better just getting by ~ there's a huge difference. Im having to pay for my cbt as I was told if I dont take the meds they wont help me and as much as it annoyed me these professionals arnt going to prescribe something that they think wont help. My gp also suggested that I take the meds in a room at the surgery and wait for an hour or so if it made me feel better perhaps that could be an option for you too. I know its hard when fear kicks in but somehow we have to start facing up to them and telling it to do one : )

hi mr average im frienghtend of all the side effects especialy the suicidal thoughts they say i might get. the dizzyness ,andif they will make me feel spaced out and i feel i wont be incontol of my own mind if that meakes sence , also my i know that meds doesnt take the anxiety way it just takes the edge of it off. and also my daughter and sister take antidepressants for thier depression but all my sister does is sit watching tv allday and cant be botherd to do or go anyware and she has been on them for yrs now and my daughter allways just want to sleep so i thought that by taking meds they pick u up and think wats the point in taking meds if they dont do anything. i know i shouldnt just go on what other people are like that take meds maybe im also scared of the unknown the uncertainty

That's very understandable...Have you ever taken these types of meds before? By they way, what meds are they?

Hi Tricia,

Meds can be a frightening concept but this could be the final thing for you that would help you move forward and deal with GAD. I think anyone you ask here on the forum will say the same that they felt apprehensive, couldn't physically take the tablets or were very scared (and still are) but look at the success stories too and keep faith. They could help you and within a month or 6/8 weeks you may be looking back at this story thinking wow why did I not take them sooner?

If you really are too frightened would you maybe consider an alternative/natural such as herbal or homeopathic?

I fight with meds daily and I am new into my second time around on fluox/prozac. I am going to keep going though as I feel the alternative to go back to constant panic attacks is not a good way to live and I don't think I could lead a normal life this way.

It's a shame you cannot access counselling again but what about online counselling? There are some links on here to CBT4 panic and mindfulness resources. If you do not want to use these there are books that you can look at including Claire Weekes or Paul David? Someone may be able to advise on these better for you but they may help you with your journey to self reassurance?

I have to admit I lack reassurance and I do ask a lot of questions on here, in my head and to my doctor but sometimes we just have to trust that things will be ok or rationalise- when you are in a heightened state of anxiety this can feel impossible but I try and practice things such as if I feel a pain I will try to ignore it, maybe take some pain relief, keep an eye and if its still there then I will see my GP- I will keep a note of how I'm feeling in a diary and review this from time to time and try to tell myself that's its normal and I will be ok. As an alternative to calling things such as NHS direct do you have a partner, good friend or family member who you could share your worries with or talk to?

I think we all want reassurance from our doctors often (I know I fall into this category) but unfortunately they cannot always be there as they have to draw a line to some extent. That said if you are unhappy with your treatment from your current GP you could possibly see another GP at the surgery or change doctors surgeries and get a second opinion but only you can make that decision as to whether that would be helpful or fuel things.

Xx

hi purple to black its easyer said than done when you are so fearful of taking meds . yes ive had it for 7yrs but from reading post on here from people they have had it for many yrs and not taken meds and yes they still may have the anxiety but learn to cope with it and try not to let it take over thier lifes as much and i just think that ive gone 7yrs without meds help i can hopefully carry on with out them maybe i should just stop coming on here for any any advice or support and just try and get on with it

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

mr average ive never taken any kind of meds before and my gp has gave me citalopram 10mg

Quote Originally Posted by tricia56 View Post
    mr average ive never taken any kind of meds before and my gp has gave me citalopram 10mg
    Could it be worth giving them a try? Just to see...?

mr average i dont think i have the courage to take them i just wish i could make decisions for myself ive always asked people what i should or shouldnt do and for them to tell me wat to do , as if i havent got a mind of my own

Quote Originally Posted by tricia56 View Post

That's the same as what I'm on. It's a low dose so it shouldn't be too bad, but if you're very anxious about taking them you could try cutting them in half for the first few days to help you get used to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information