Thread: citalopram dose times

citalopram dose times

Is it the entire time you are taking citalopram through the doses or the time on one dose that counts?

Sorry not explaining this well. I've been taking cit for about 5ish weeks but been taking 30mg for 2ish so do I have to wait for the 30mg to get to 6 weeks or does it all count,cit

Re: citalopram dose times

It's very dependent on the individual to be honest, but it does seem that a change in dose can have negative effects for a couple of weeks until the body adjusts. I've done 3 weeks on 10mg and 3 on 20mg so far. The change in dose hit me pretty hard for a couple of weeks, but I seem marginally better after 3 weeks.

so altho you've been taking it for 6 weeks altogether its not working completely yet

I went up to 40mg 2 weeks ago and last weekend hit a blip, I am going to stick with it for another couple of weeks. I am just going into week 7 of citralopram..... So, I would say it affects everyone differently.

I've been offered a change of med but don't want to give up if the cit will work given more time

Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecatqee View Post
    Is it the entire time you are taking citalopram through the doses or the time on one dose that counts?

Sorry not explaining this well. I've been taking cit for about 5ish weeks but been taking 30mg for 2ish so do I have to wait for the 30mg to get to 6 weeks or does it all count,cit
    I think you need to stick to one dose for at least 2 weeks, absolute bare minimum, to get a good sense of whether it's working, and in my case I stayed at the initial dose for three before I felt stable and confident enough to go up to the recommended dose (20). I made my assessment at three weeks that the primary side-effects were under control, I was handling the occasional dark thoughts, the higher dose was statistically better for me, and I also felt confident enough to spend the time to try it. In other words, I think you have to really think it through and consult your doc and therapist to try to obtain some impartial perspective.

Most people don't seem to reach full benefit until around 8 weeks, so... my feeling is that hopping doses is not productive.

I'd stay stick to your new dose for 2 months and look at your calendar and plan to feel better then! I think we all need to avoid thinking too short-term about this treatment, it isn't helpful.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information