Thread: Is this normal???

Is this normal???

This is my first time on Citalopram 10 mg for anxiety well today is day 6 for me, early days I know but luckily I seem to have got away with hardly any side effects
    Well yesterday was day 5 and after a very jittery morning to the point had to ask my boss if I could take 5 minutes for a walk around the block as my mind was going 100mph and was physically shaking that was about 10 in the morning then around 1pm started feeling great very relaxed and very sociable on the school run this carried on through the night even had a decent nights sleep and woke up feeling great well for all of 5 minutes then my mind started racing and got all jittery again this carried on till about 12 midday and again I am feel calm and relaxed.
    Is it too early for the meds to be working?
    Should I change the time I take them? currently taking at 8am.
    Just wondering if Ive improved without the meds or the meds are beginning to work?

Re: Is this normal???

Yes this is pretty normal. I recently started at 10 mg as well; please see my post about the initial effects... wired/tired feeling, racing mind, fixating, impulsive thoughts, you name it. And my onset of these things was also around the end of the first week. I probably first felt the effects of the med on day 2 or 3 even, just slightly. Felt like I'd had too much coffee.

These effects tend to subside in the second week, but don't expect instant recovery. The irony with this med is that it really throws a lot of anxiety at you in the beginning. Many people question the med for a month or two and wonder why they were given something that makes the condition worse.

Lucky you, with fewer side effects! But don't be surprised if you get whacked with some more anxiety pretty soon, that's what happened with me. After the giddy/jittery feeling, I seem to get a crash and then I feel the anxiety etc. But you should start feeling a bit of occasional sunshine in a week or two... and then it slowly becomes more consistent.

Not sure if you're planning to go to 20, but I did in week 3. At that point, I got another wave of anxiety, albeit somewhat easier than the first time. You'll probably get it as a temporary adjustment issue with any dose change.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information