Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does reading/talking about symptoms instantly bring on symptoms?

Does reading/talking about symptoms instantly bring on symptoms?

I've suffered from anxiety a while and what I've noticed is that whenever I talk or read about them more they seem to appear, eg I woke up with abit of tension headache, it went but I had mild nausea, anyway I came bam up looked on this forum seen headache and my headache has returned and nausea just got a little worst. Is it just me?

Re: Does reading/talking about symptoms instantly bring on symptoms?

No I don't think it's just you. How many times do you find that if someone starts talking about fleas do you find yourself itching & scratching? I think we probably all do it. The mind is a very powerful thing indeed!

Hello,

In my experience reading and talking about symptoms definitely brings them on! I don't know if you ever read any of those weekly magazines but I do and they always have horror stories in them and some things I start to become convinced I've got!
    If you think about it properly if you start worrying about something then you will start thinking it's real!
    If you ever want to talk feel free to message me, even if it's just to put your mind at rest when your health anxiety is bad :-) xx

I've messages you.
    Thanks both for your replies. It's like if I read something about brain tumours etc my head hurts and stuff. I get nausea worst too x

I get this for sure! I read the other day about face tingling and low and behold it starts!!

It's not just me then, it's awful!

Definitely not just you

I have to be so careful about what I read or watch on tv because as soon as I see something the symptoms start! Its all to do with the way our minds work, most people would take in the information and move on but with me the info sticks in my mind.

Feel better soon

Yep exactly that.
    I heard a girl I knew from primary school pass away in her sleep about 6 years ago, she complained of a headache I recall so from that I instantly think its going to happen to me. Bare it in mind for all I know she could of been ill, or had other medical issues but that part stuck with me.
    It's horrible, I read about headaches then my head hurts, I think my eyes have seen something, then they start to go funny. It's crap.

It the same for me reading, hearing about these symptoms I have not yet shifted them. sometimes just even thinking about it.

Even though I had tests done and nothing been found.

It also these adverts what make it worst. I don't know anybody personal with anything serious wrong with them, it when people talk about people their know with the c word with makes me feel worst.

I used to be free and happy and not worry, but now I am hitting 30 in December from last year my research and reading have got worst.

Yep that's the same for me.
    Two eyetests in like a month, full bloods, ECG, I don't feel unwell in general just my head, nose and ear driving me insane, but obviously I convince myself something's up with my brain etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information