Thread: fluoxtine to citalopram

fluoxtine to citalopram

I went to the doctors yesterday to let her know that i felt the fluoxtine wasnt working for me despite the increase in dose. She has now started me on citalopram. Looking to see if this has helped anyone with anxiety and panic disorder?

Re: fluoxtine to citalopram

Yes, this is a common use for citalopram.

However, be advised though that the anxiety and panic can become markedly worse for some weeks as you start citalopram. It's as if the body fights against the change. Many of us have reported acute anxiety while starting. You might refer to my other thread to give you and idea of what to expect for the first few weeks. You can get through it, but be prepared!

Something you might discuss with your doc is some additional short-term anti-panic meds, e.g. beta blockers, to help you transition to citalopram. Just don't be surprised if you need that additional help.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: fluoxtine to citalopram

Hi, I was switched from Fluoxetine almost 4 weeks ago after being on it for 5 years for Depression. My doctor never tried to increase my Fluoxetine (I was always on 20mg), which surprised me but maybe as I now have anxiety and this started whilst on Fluo he thought Citalopram was better for me.
    The only side effect I had from Citalopram is it awakens me at night and I am usually (wide) awake for around an hour but then sleep again until morning. I am always tired anyway (always have been) so my daytime energy hasn't changed because of the slight sleep disturbance.
    Incidentally, I also take 2 x 40mg Propranolol a day which I believe helped immensely. I feel like I don't need them anymore but I know all to well that can easily reverse itself should I halt either medication.
    Good luck!

Thread Information