Thread: Help with first time taking Citalopram

Help with first time taking Citalopram

Hi all, I had a couple of health scares which has left me with severe anxiety for the last few months, At first I had really bad tension headaches and dizziness which caused me to faint a couple of times which made things worse as I now think I am going to faint again when I have an attack. My doctor has given me citalopram to take once a day which I have been for the past 6 days. Has anyone else taken these? At the moment I am not myself, feel slightly sick and struggle to be around people. At night I am waking up with the back of my neck really hot and spinning out witch I cant quite describe. Would be good to chat to anyone which has experienced similar problems. Thanks

Re: Help with first time taking Citalopram

hiya. i,ve been there. [not fainting]although i used to feel faint & think i might faint. but anyway i,ve been on that medication. i have had everything you described. it will pass but if your uncertain about anything go back to your gp. good luck & you will get there. i,ve had anxiety/panic for 5yrs. and for 3 and a half yrs it was bad and my panic attacks but now i am so much better. so i do truly believe you will get there.

Hi Ady, yes, many of us have started citalopram recently and recorded our experiences here- please peruse the threads here. Here's mine...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=135091

Citalopram can throw all manner of anxiety and intrusive thoughts at you for the first few weeks. for me, the roughest phase was around the beginning of week 2.

I hope you have good results. The important thing is to have good, open communications with your doc and a therapist throughout, and I think it's also essential to have full disclosure with a few friends and family members. You'll need that support network. For many of us, getting up to speed on citalopram is hard work, I am not kidding! But you can do it and get good benefit.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by ady0504 View Post
    Hi all, I had a couple of health scares which has left me with severe anxiety for the last few months, At first I had really bad tension headaches and dizziness which caused me to faint a couple of times which made things worse as I now think I am going to faint again when I have an attack. My doctor has given me citalopram to take once a day which I have been for the past 6 days. Has anyone else taken these? At the moment I am not myself, feel slightly sick and struggle to be around people. At night I am waking up with the back of my neck really hot and spinning out witch I cant quite describe. Would be good to chat to anyone which has experienced similar problems. Thanks
    hi ,,,, what ever your feeling the medication will highten it all for atleast 2/3 weeks but the it will stable a little so you can manage it better. its not a nice feeling but it will get better if you dont feel any better after 6 weeks you maybe should speak to your doctor just incase its not suiting you.

take care lou

Thread Information