Thread: long qt syndrome ...anyone else also on a PPI?

long qt syndrome ...anyone else also on a PPI?

Hi all if u could please help me id be so grateful. Am panicky and dizzy.

Ive been taking citalopram for around a year now. I also get palpitations but had them tested at dr and they are apparently ectopic beats. Ive been taking esomeprozole for a few months also but stopped it after reading that the two can trigger a major reaction leading to long qt syndrome making your heart irregular and eventually stop. I am taking 20mgs of citalopram and know that it has a side effect of this anyway but apparebtly taking a ppi increases that. I have to go back on the esomeprozole for acid and took one two hours ago. Feel dizzy and getting palpitations. Am so scared but know im anxious too anyway. Feel lightheaded. Am convincing myself I will get long qt syndrome and am very very scared.

Does anyone.else also take a PPI?

Charlotte

Re: long qt syndrome ...anyone else also on a PPI?

Sorry to hear about this. I know nothing of these issues but I would just offer this thought. All of these meds, particularly when used in combinations, do introduce some risks. We have to look at those risks and weigh them against the benefits. My feeling is that the goal with these meds is to do only what needs to be done, and accompany them with other therapy and exercise so as to wean off as soon as possible... but also not so soon that you haven't made progress against the underlying catalysts for the A/D.

So it's all a balanced risk determination. The problem is that we probably can't make that determination ourselves, we are too likely to be swayed one way or the other by acute, short-term anxiety. So I really think we need to have to have full disclosure with a doc and a good therapist... or two, and take bold steps toward wellness after the meds are tapered down.

What may help is for you to get out a calendar and try to establish some goals on it, with your therapist and doc. Try to to make a longer term plan, and then that may help you plan to exit the meds in a rational and gradual way, balancing risk versus return.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I had to take esameprazole the dr said there were no problems and no interactions!! I had to tell him that the esameprazole increases the effects of citalopram, so we had to adjust the dosis.
    I had no idea about this syndrome :S and I am sure I will need to take PPI again because I have problems with my stomach..

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

But where did you find this information?
    I've seen it should be avoided or taken at certain dosis if you have the syndrome..

I just typed into google 'esomeprozole and citalopram interactions' and it said major :(

oh didn't see that before..
    crazy that the doctor doesn't know..
    anyway... it says 20mg should be fine.. (and I was on 40mg grr)
    who knows if with other drugs for reflux it could be safer?

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

I think you should not worry at the moment, it doesn't seem to be a huge problem at that dosis.
    The pharmacist when saw the prescription asked me few questions and then she told me that 20mg of esameprazole were fine, but 40mg with 40mg of citalopram could cause problems.
    How much esameprazole do you take?
    Maybe you could ask your gp for the long term treatment.

I was thinking to go back to the gp maybe friday because my problems with the stomach are getting worse, I will ask if there are alternatives!

Wow now that you put me this doubt I started doing 100 researches and feeling quite stressed as well.
    I had palpitations when on 40mg citalopram and esameprazole, but I thought it was my anxiety.
    I've read a lot of articles (well, insomnia and anxiety period :P)
    and ok I found 20mg should be fine... but I also found that sertraline doesn't have this side effect!!

As I am eating only rice and potatoes that my stomach is bad I wanted to ask PPI again.. but in this case I will ask to the GP what he thinks about sertraline?
    Well, not that I like switching medications :S I would like stability, but better be safe.

What do you think?
    Experiences?

I'd definitely speak with your doc about sertraline. Why not learn more... but stay calm!

Again, I think the issue is what is your long-term plan. If you anticipate is a short-term (6 months to 1 year) treatment on the SSRI, then hopscotching meds is probably not wise and could do more harm than good. But if you anticipate the need for long-term 'maintenance,' well then yes you need to do everything to lessen the side-effects and multi-med interactions.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

If it's referred to me I am quite sure that I will need long term for citalopram as I am taking it for 10 years, and it seems impossible to stop at the moment.
    The stomach I will start investigating, but again it's years that I am suffering and the 1 month esameprazole helped me.
    I am happy anyway to know that there are SSRI that don't have interactions with the PPI!

Thread Information