Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Accepting. Help needed.

Really Accepting. Help needed.

Hello,
    I have only recently started on a course of Citapropal, and I think this is making my anxiety worse at the moment, and giving me regular attacks when at home.
    I am determined to beat this thing using self help by accepting the feelings. I try not to avoid anything and I am able to cope (not easy) with most of my anxious feelings but when I do get a real panic attack, right at the peak, I still withdraw and feel like giving in.
    My normal level of anxiety is a churning stomach with that horrible dread feeling but when I think negatively like "Oh here it comes again" I can enter a panic attack which goes through me like an electric shock. It stays with me as an awful burning feeling accross my chest and arms but the worst part is the accompanying despair. I feel reduced to tears with "I can't do this".
    This is when I still fail and withdraw.
    Until I can go through this last bit and still carry on I don't think I can really recover. I know it cannot hurt me but it still overwhelms me..
    Any good tips?
    Thank.

Re: Really Accepting. Help needed.

Phil,

Haven't really got any tips as I am in the same boat. I really want a way out of this too. Every day is one long struggle. Only sleep gives me some respite.

I also try and continue with my day as best I can, but when the symptoms cause panic, I just curl up and hide away.

I am actually having a better day today. Only 2 panic episodes which is good for me.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,
    I know what you mean... I feel like a 5 year old sometimes...
    I sit trying to watch the TV but really I am just ruminating and trying to work it all out.... Big mistake! Then eventually I feel defeated and the panic washes over me. This is the worst part as, like you, I just want to despair and cry.
    I always pick myself back up eventually and try again... Maybe I am trying rather than just doing. I am a firm believer that I have to lose my fear of the feeling..... Very hard!
    Hope you feel better soon..... Good to chat.
    Phil

Hi,
    I think I've beaten panic ... but went to anxiety :P
    I've just learnt that panic doesn't do any harm.
    So really, after a while, I just decided to not avoid situation that could cause panic.
    When it comes I would say: ah here you are, ok, let's wait and stay here.
    Obviously some sensations are horrible and the mind is trying everything to scare you!!
    But at least the terrible panic went away.

(struggling with anxiety because as it last almost all day.. well, it's not easy to accept when it comes.. grr)

Hi,
    For me it is really the other way around... I did get the odd panic attack, but my problem is Genreal Anxiety. It is hard, because like you say, you get very little rest from it. It just spoils your whole day. I think, though, if you have managed to lose your fear of panic, you will be able to do the same with anxiety as it is a little less intense. You just have to have a great deal of patience as you get less time to feel normal.
    Phil

When the panic comes try observing like a scientist what is happening in your body like my pulse is racing, feel wobbly etc.

Don't try and stop/avoid the feelings because that is all they are they can't harm you. It is tough to do but really helped me with them.

Thanks Cheshirecatqee.. I will try that... Sounds like a plan.

I have overcome my panic and anxiety and recovered and relapsed at least 3 times in 12 years, I always go back to Dr Claire Weekes method outlined in her book "Essential Help for your Nerves". I've read every book and tried every technique and I always go back to this. It takes a lot of practise to accept your anxiety/ panic and its definitely not an overnight thing more a lifelong process xx

Same here... Been here at least 4 times before.... Most of the new books are just a modern version of the Claire Weeks teachings anyway....
    I still however get a bit confused between accepting my GAD and accepting my occasional panic attacks.... I tend to try and make the panic come so I can practice going right through it but am unsure if I sometimes do this unnecessarily when I am just feeling normal anxiety. The day to day worrying with GAD can be very draining, and I tend to be hard on myself trying to make it worse in the same way as you would with a real panic attack.
    Phil

This is an interesting discussion. I am suffering butterflies really badly at the moment. I know this is anxiety, but nothing I do makes them go away. Then suddenly I'll just notice they have gone. This does tend to suggest that consciously trying to make them go is not the right thing to do.

Panic is something very different for me though. I usually need three or more physical symptoms to strike at once to enter a panic attack. These are normally

Left arm and armpit pain
    Chest discomfort
    Sweating
    Fuzzy head

If I have one or two of these, I tend not to enter full panic mode. It's all very strange.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information