Thread: 17 days into taking mirt. My update :-)

17 days into taking mirt. My update :-)

I started Mirtazapine 7.5mg 17 days ago. I felt very rough the first 5 days or so, very sleepy and fatigued, I was bed ridden for days, it was awful. Thankfully that did lift and usually after being up an hour or 2 that does ease and I can go about my day. I couldnt drive the first week, I can now.

I saw my GP last Monday, he had prescribed 15mg but I had snapped it in half, he said it is fine and if I feel happy to start on that dose then so is he. He said as I am petite (5ft tall and 7 stone) I may not need such a high dose to help me. Fingers crossed he is right.

I was given mirt as I was struggling with anxiety, panic disorder and agoraphobia after losing my Nan last July and then being attacked in the September. I am 33, mum to 3 children so this was all really tough to deal with. I cried night and day, I so wanted my life back. I am terrified of drugs but gave in and started mirt.

In the last week I have been clothes shopping, make up shopping, into Costa and sat in there with my children and husband to have a drink, walked my dogs, smiled again, laughed...... these are all things that were impossible before so I guess Mirt is doing something, even at 7.5mg? I feel much calmer but the lump in my throat feeling is still there on occasion which will fuel my anxiety a bit but I am learning to cope with it, I think.

Everyone is telling me I am a different person, as I left my GP's office last week he said it was lovely to see me smiling again, not anxious and scared to be in his room and I was like a new me.

Could such a low dose really help?

Also, is it normal to suddenly be hit again by tiredness? the last 2 days I have woken up feeling very groggy again, I don't lie about all day, I keep busy but I am tired all day, I am exhausted now.

What time do you all take your tablet? I take mine about 8.15-8.30 but I think I should maybe bring this forward a little if I am finding it hard to wake up at 7am.

Re: 17 days into taking mirt. My update :-)

I take mine about 60-90 minutes before I'm ready to sleep; that usually does the trick.

As for a low dose helping, I don't see why not. As you say, you are petite and maybe your tolerance to drugs is therefore lower and you can benefit from that amount.

It could be the drug, it could be that you're getting more sleep, or it could be the placebo effect - whatever the reason if you're feeling some benefit that's really what matters.

I do find that the sedative effect varies at 15mg. Some days I can't keep my eyes open other times it's a more gentle drifting off, and there are days when I feel a little drowsy all day, but I wouldn't be without it

Re: 17 days into taking mirt. My update :-)

Thank you Mark. Yes whatever the reason I'm very happy I'm taking it and it is helping me.

My GP has always said I've a very low tolerance to drugs.

Thread Information