Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Fluoxetine to work

Need Fluoxetine to work

I am a 34 year old guy from the U.S. I have called 19 psych doctors in my area and I can not convince anyone to take a new patient. I can not believe nobody will see me. Anyway, a nurse practitioner at a local clinic put me on Fluoxetine 5mg for a week, then up to 10mg. Today was my first 10mg day.

I'm not worried I will die, but I still can't control the anxiety and panic I feel. I know I am safe, but my symptoms overwhelm me anyway. I can't leave the house right now and am having a hard time being "normal" around my wife and kids.

My list of known symptoms are:

Depersonalization
    Nausea
    Jittery/Shakes
    Feel like I will faint
    Impending doom
    Can't concentrate or control thoughts

I no longer drink or do "illegal" drugs, but it feels as if I have smoked marijuana. I feel like I'm in a dream state and a rush of panic comes over me. This has been going on since April 5th. I have not felt normal since that day and wonder if/when I'll feel normal again.

This happened last year as well, it disappeared after two months of hospital visits and tests which all came back normal. It cost me $15,000 last year. I am trying hard not to go to the hospital this year, but I need some help and with no psych doctor willing to see me I feel hopeless. I can pay for the visits, can't understand how nobody takes new patients. I'm not sure a nurse practitioner can really help much further.

At times I think I will get better, but then will feel so hopeless minutes later. I know other people are having more severe issues than me and believe they are dying, but I still can't control these overwhelming feelings and it is destroying me. I need to have my life and mind back. I need to be able to be normal for my family.

I don't think I was depressed or stressed before this happened. No reason for anxiety. It just came out of nowhere for no apparent reason. I don't understand it but I NEED Fluoxetine to help me regain control of my mind.

Re: Need Fluoxetine to work

Hello Sir.

What can I say. On this site, many people will understand where you are coming from, and you will see it is normal, and I'm sure like many others you can get through it. But it won't happen overnight.

The Fluoxetine, might give these side effects at first, but as you read on here, most people get through it, and the symptoms seem to improve with each week.

I also felt at times, I was losing my mind, now on day 71 of Fluoxetine 20 mgs, I actually start to feel normal again, after what feels like eternity. The first two weeks were the worst, some people said they took benzos or something to calm down at night. That might be useful, and the moment, I'm using Valium every few days, but I don't need it. But I think it would have helped back in the early weeks.

Anyway, I'm not expert, I'm just one with a personal experience.

Thanks for your reply. I can't imagine dealing with this for another day, much less 70+. Guess it is "one day at a time", and no matter how bad it seems you HAVE to deal with it.

I had to force myself to take the pill today. I dread waking up in the mornings. I have been sleeping fine, it is the only part of the day I can look forward to right now.

No trauma, no stress and worries that I am conscience of, why has my mind betrayed me? How can I just wake up one day and be completely different and it doesn't go away? I can't get help and I can't get a grip on myself. I just need to be normal again. Feel so dramatic....

Day 8 on Fluoxetine

Was kind of mellow compared to recent days. No jittery feeling, no major panic attack. Depersonalization is still here, it is the toughest symptom for me to deal with. Didn't even consider going outside. Just sat around playing guitar, reading, browsing the internet, and a little television. Not productive, but held on to my sanity another day.

Horrible day 9 today, fighting off panic attacks. Just want it to go away.Major depersonalization and constant thoughts about what is causing this and how long it will last. I've read where people took other meds to help until the fluoxetine kicked in. Wonder if I should've been prescribed something...also wondering if the 10mg dose is enough to help since so many others are on 20mg. Hoping the nurse knows what she's doing and the meds become more effective soon. Not sure how long I can deal with this. Give me my life back.

Day 10

Woke up with bad panic attacks today, took meds and fought off the urge to rush to the hospital. Finally got an appointment to see a therapist, it is for Wednesday of next week. Hopefully by that point I can leave the house without having an attack. Still trying to shake the thought that 10mg is too low and ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMEANPOSSUM View Post
    I am a 34 year old guy from the U.S. I have called 19 psych doctors in my area and I can not convince anyone to take a new patient. I can not believe nobody will see me. Anyway, a nurse practitioner at a local clinic put me on Fluoxetine 5mg for a week, then up to 10mg. Today was my first 10mg day.

I'm not worried I will die, but I still can't control the anxiety and panic I feel. I know I am safe, but my symptoms overwhelm me anyway. I can't leave the house right now and am having a hard time being "normal" around my wife and kids.

My list of known symptoms are:

Depersonalization
    Nausea
    Jittery/Shakes
    Feel like I will faint
    Impending doom
    Can't concentrate or control thoughts

I no longer drink or do "illegal" drugs, but it feels as if I have smoked marijuana. I feel like I'm in a dream state and a rush of panic comes over me. This has been going on since April 5th. I have not felt normal since that day and wonder if/when I'll feel normal again.

This happened last year as well, it disappeared after two months of hospital visits and tests which all came back normal. It cost me $15,000 last year. I am trying hard not to go to the hospital this year, but I need some help and with no psych doctor willing to see me I feel hopeless. I can pay for the visits, can't understand how nobody takes new patients. I'm not sure a nurse practitioner can really help much further.

At times I think I will get better, but then will feel so hopeless minutes later. I know other people are having more severe issues than me and believe they are dying, but I still can't control these overwhelming feelings and it is destroying me. I need to have my life and mind back. I need to be able to be normal for my family.

I don't think I was depressed or stressed before this happened. No reason for anxiety. It just came out of nowhere for no apparent reason. I don't understand it but I NEED Fluoxetine to help me regain control of my mind.
    I really understand. I have the same feelings! I am trying to wait for the zoloft I started taking 2 weeks ago to work but so far very limited effects.
    You are not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Renee 123 View Post
    I really understand. I have the same feelings! I am trying to wait for the zoloft I started taking 2 weeks ago to work but so far very limited effects.
    You are not alone!
    Good to know I'm not alone, hope things get better for you soon.

Feel like I've had a complete breakdown today. My mind is so tired of fighting and I just feel destroyed. I know this should pass, but right now I don't know how I can deal with it any more. No control over my thoughts or feelings at all. I'm safe and it can't hurt me, but still I can't handle this.

Hallo BMP, am myself on Prozac day 52 at 20mgs.
    I personally found the first 4 weeks an bit of a rollercoaster ride. Have had increase in anxiety, repetitive thoughts, lack of appetite , restlessness, upset tummy, increase in insomnia. Felt slightly demented in the first two weeks, but it HAS all calmed down .
    Have insomnia today, but that is on the decrease. Stay in there, you are not alone.
    For you ....
    Last edited by ladybug51; 01-06-13 at 02:52. Reason: spelling

Thanks Ladybug, I appreciate the post. Did you start at 20mg or did you build up to that? Did you take anything else to help until the Prozac kicked in or just Prozac? Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information