Thread: Severe panic attack

Severe panic attack

I have had panic attacks for the last 3 years thinking they were bad but nothing tops this mornings. Was flying back from my holiday, am not scared of flying or anything but panic just struck me. I couldn't regulate my breathing and lost all sensation in my hands and feet and felt like I was going to be sick if I moved my head just a fraction, honestly thought I was going to die, it left me completely exhausted and still shaken up. Never experienced anything like it and now so scared it will happen again, I am on citalopram 40mg, have been for the last 10years, like I say it's really shaken me up, not sure what route to go down, just want to lead a normal life, any suggestions welcome x

Re: Severe panic attack

I feel so sorry for you, bad enough having a PA but to be somewhere you couldn't run, not unless you are into wing walking of course I think that maybe you were just that little bit more anxious and tired than you realized, it was one of those attacks that come over you now and again, not often thank goodness.
    I was driving round a roundabout once and had a PA that was so wierd that I stopped the car and couldn't move, a policeman had to come and move the car, never had one that bad since thank god, hope you had a good hols any way x

Hi, yep the danger is fear now that it will happen again! This becomes anticipatory anxiety induced panic and this lead to me being agrophobic more or less for 6mths!

So I'd go docs get this medically recorded and therapy in place incase you get worse and in the meantime reassure yourself this was a one off and try and ignore it and carry on with your normal activities.

I've had panic attacks exactly like you've described I've completely lost it and lost touch of reality & body control I've gone Numb everywhere and my breathing has been shallow and like I couldn't breath properly? HORRID!!!
    Fingers crossed this will not happen again X

Hya, I know exactly how you are feeling. I've been having attacks for about 12 years now on and off but had a severe one on Monday, totally out of the blue for no reason. Couldn't get up off the floor. I've been seeing a psychologist who says to go with it but it was sooooo scary I ended up popping a Diazepam. I'm not saying by any means that this is what you should do but I don't go anywhere without them at the moment. Only had 5 sessions with Psychologist so can't really say if it's helping or making me think more about it at the moment. Hopefully you won't have another like that again and I hope you are ok now

Thread Information