Thread: Middle back pain - Sounds Trivial But Please Help...

Unhappy Middle back pain - Sounds Trivial But Please Help...

Hi all.

I hope that I might get some advice/perspective as I’m trying really hard not to slip back into another episode of health anxiety. This is where I am at the moment.

For about a month, I’ve had a niggling ache in my back on the right hand side. I think I’ve damaged a muscle in my back as it was around this time I lifted a really heavy board by myself and think I might have strained/pulled it. It’s not noticeable all the time and seems to be more noticeable when I’m leaning over, for example when at a desk…even then, it’s not exactly sore/painful, it’s more like a fairly deep ache. It’s feels like it’s in between my shoulder blade and my backbone…sometimes it aches a bit lower down but usually is connected to the muscle that runs along side my spine. As I say, it comes and goes and doesn’t seem to be getting any worse. It’s not stopping me doing anything I wouldn’t normally do, nor is it messing with my sleep pattern.

Now normally I’d be just thinking that it’s upper back ache but I’ve heard that pancreatic cancer can cause the same symptom. I’m 38, fit, don’t smoke or drink and am in generally good health, something I hope stands in my favour but I can feel my health anxiety creeping in.

I try and tell myself that with back ache, many people suffer for months with muscular/skeletal issues that aren’t life threatening but I just can get this pancreatic thing out of my head (I read on the news that author Iain Banks was diagnosed with cancer after having back pain and I think this is why I’m freaking out so much). I also went to a chiropractor a couple of times since I lifted this heavy board and he said he though the discomfort was muscular although I think the treatment he gave me has not exactly made things better.

I really don’t want to go to the doctor because I know how stupid I’d sound but I really would appreciate any perspective or logic that anyone can offer. I know this sounds trivial but I’m really terrified.

Thanks

D

PS, PLEASE DON’T TELL ME ANY OTHER SYMPTOMS OF PANCREATIC CANCER OR ELSE I’LL END UP CONVINCING MYSELF I HAVE THEM TOO!!!

Re: Middle back pain - Sounds Trivial But Please Help...

ok your body is telling you its a strained muscle your mind is trying to get you worried our minds are so effective at doing this, take a step back and ask yourself do you really think it is something more than a pull muscle, if you do think it is more than that you should go to the drs, that is what they are there for so dont feel stupid, nothing is trivial if it is a worry take care and blessings

Thanks Aggie but I just can't get this cancer fear out of my mind. Surely if it was something more serious than a pulled muscle it would be getting worse over time??

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thread Information