Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No way out- please help

No way out- please help

Hi,

I have suffered with panic attacks and agoraphobia for about 4 years and am really struggling to cope at the moment.

I am currently taking prozac, which I was prescribed about 3 years ago, but I'm not sure if the dosage is enough as I am feeling very depressed.

I have tried changing diet, exercise, acupuncture, herbal remedies, counselling and CBT but all have failed to get me back to 'normal'.

I have read loads of self help books but can't seem to get back my 'fear of fear'. I'm just so utterly terrified of having a panic attack that I can't push myself to face anywhere I find difficult to go- which is pretty much anywhere other than my home.

I am not yet house-bound, but am so low and unconfident at the moment that it seems that is where I am heading.

I don't know what else to do. My family are also finding it hard to deal with all my problems and this makes me even more worried and emotional.

My biggest problem at the moment is the sensation in my legs that leads my to believe that they are not strong enough to carry me and I will collapse any second. I used to only get this feeling in places where I feel particularly panicky but now I get it everywhere- even at home.

The only thing I can think of to try next is hypnotherapy. Anyone got any suggestions? I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

Someone please help me.

i've tried everything and it hasnt worked at the moment i'm doing an anxiety and stress course with a therapist who is teaching me how to handle the symptoms i'm not sure thats going to work either

hypnotherapy might be a good idea
    have you tried nlp i've heard that works for some people
    maybe go back to gp and say you dont feel any better may change tablets

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

Monty,

I had this feeling in my legs for about 2-3 months, i hated it, i was also getting pains and cramps. eft helped me. its a free download and its also useful for anxiety and panic.

www.emofree.com

Give it a try

Becci x

Hi monty,anxiety has many horrid symptoms.I can leave the house with someone,but find going out alone very hard.Families are very supportive but unless they have been there its hard for them to understand.You will find lots of friends here and get very good advise.
    Take care

Ellen XX

Hi Monty..
    I am agoraphobic and so i know how hard it is. I was housebound for two years and i'm still pretty much housebound but i can leave the house with my mother. What is SO important for you right now is that do NOT stopping going out. Thats where i made the mistake. I had a couple of panic attacks and that was it, too scared to go out, then from that moment i decided not to go out anymore, i lived the next 2 years in a complete panic daze. It was horrendous.
    Just some advice
    Sarah

Hi Monty, I'm also on Prozac & my legs feel just like yours do. I'm not housebound, in fact I've been fine for the last few months, came off Diazepam about a month ago, but still take 20mg Prozac every day/every other day (depending on how brave I feel lol!!) I feel low as well (single parent with 3 kids and I'm 40 next week doh!!). I can't go anywhere without having to take the kids with me. My eldest has her own life with her boyfriend, she does come to see me, but my youngest are only 9 (today!) and 6. Its hard for me to find something that we all enjoy, either too childish or too adultish if you know what I mean. I do enjoy the cinema cos I love Disney films etc., but sometimes I just want an adult conversation and to make a posh meal instead of burger and chips! I want to feel appreciated instead of no confidence and low self esteem and not suffer from panic attacks when everything seems to be going wrong. I've managed to control the panic attacks, but anxiety is more or less lurking in the background all the time. I do have my good days, but yesterday I just wanted to stay in bed all day and be left alone, impossible with my 2 youngest.

I've never tried hypnotherapy (seem to have tried everything else). If I was you, I'd give it a go. Anything is better than nothing, and if you've already thought about it, its worth going through with it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Les

Thanks for all your kind messages. I do go out at least once a day- my exercise is a 30 minute walk around the neighbourhood every night- rain or snow! I can't really go anywhere alone anymore- and mostly I go out with my mum (I'm 17).

It's really hard on her and sometimes I feel so alone- I don't want to give her any more to worry about and this sort of stuff is too 'heavy' to tell my friends. I have no social life and only see old friends from school every few months.

Thanks again for your help- keep the advice coming! It is great to get some support from others in my situation.

Hi Monty,

I have looked into hypnotherapy as I have now tried everything else. As with everything if you go into it with an open mind and the hope that it may well work, is better.

It's good that you get out, no matter who with. It's a viscous circle, as we all know but i hope in time things will get better for you.

Love Magicsheep x

If you don't want to do it you'll find an excuse. If you want to do it, you will!

Hi Monty, good to meet you. I would try hypnotherapy, i tried it a few years back, and although rather expensive, it seemed to work? You are doing well by going out on a daily basis, not only will it build your confidence that nothing bad will happen (which it won't) but it's good exercise for you and that horrible 'leg' symptom! As for mum, i am almost certain that other than being worried and upset for you, she doesn't mind one little bit. It is hard for people, whoever they are, to understand these awful feelings, why not let mum come to this site and have a look round? I have 4 kids my 2 youngest are 16 and 17, and i can guarantee nothing would be too much trouble, that's what us mum's are for!! take care and keep in touch. xxx

Thanks. I will hopefully be having a 'telephone consultation' with my GP on Wednesday and will ask about hypnotherapy. But I have already found someone local who does home visits (I thought it would be most effective if I was at my most relaxed- i.e. at home)

Best wishes to everyone who is having similar problems, and many, many thanks for all your help and advice- I really appreciate it.

Keep the response coming guys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information