Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doctors refuse

Re: Doctors refuse

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    It is horses for courses: you have to balance the equation of the quality of life versus the addictive qualities. I was initially prescribed them in the early 90s, partly for migraines, partly for tension and anxiety and have been on them ever since. Couldn't withdraw even if I wanted to. Couldn't survive without them. Don't want to withdraw. Some people need them forever; some just for short periods, though British GPs are so obsessed with the addictive qualities and bad press, they are loath to prescribe them. In S E Asia & you can buy them OTC, though a number of them may be counterfeit.
    Ducky,
    Don`t leave the site, you were only giving your opinion and experience on Diazepam.
    As stated above I have been prescribed them for years, to use very sparingly and that is what I do. Even if it only 2mg once a week, my GPs have no problem with that.
    If it remains in my system for days after that, it is only a tiny, tiny amount. That tiny that it isn`t even effective. From what I am told, 2mgs is needed to have any beneficial effect.
    As I said before to you, I am sorry about your son and I can`t even begin to imagine what you are going through.

I have no regrets in what I said. I lost someone very close to me due to alcoholism too. My reply might of just saved someone from listening to your rhetoric that it's fine to take diazepam long term. I might of just saved someone from the hell of trying to withdraw from diazepam.

I don't feel I said anything personal or spiteful to you. I simply stated fact and opinion about how dangerous the things you said were. Diazepam is not a safe drug long term.

But on a personal level... I see that you're a racist? "So many foreigners who don't speak english?" That is a terrible thing to say!!! Absolutely disgraceful. I also don't work for the NHS just to clear that one up too.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Just because you can purchase them in SE asia, doesn't mean that's a good thing. You can purchase child prostitutes in parts of Asia too. I'm glad I live in a country where these tablets are hard to get hold off and classed as an illicit substance when not prescribed them.

Being on them long term is an awful thing. There are so many studies to show how damaging they are when taken long term. They will be inevitably effecting you negatively in many many ways. In the early 90's, there was much less known about the long term and addictive qualities of this drugs that they were handed out much more readily. Had they known in the 90's what they know now about them, you probably would have been more carefully monitered and now allowed to reach a point where you couldn't withdraw if you want to.

British GP's are not 'obsessed' with the addictive qualities and 'bad press'. They are here to make sure we don't harm ourselves. Why do they not hand out methadone or morphine to everyone? No one would suffer panic attacks or depression then! We would all be hunky dory!

There is no 'horses for courses' in this discussion. You can't weigh up a quality of life versus addictive qualities for this. It's not what these drugs were intended for. They wallpaper over cracks and as our bodies hit tolerance, we need more and more 'wallpaper' as the cracks get even bigger until the only thing keeping the house from falling down is the layers of wallpaper.

In that sense ducky, would you advise alcoholics to stay on alcohol? If they are happy on it and if gives them a better quality of life rather than the painful alcohol withdraw process, they why not keep them topped up on special brew for the rest of their days? Or the same with heroin users?

This kind of rhetoric should not be taken as advice for people who are already vulnerable and looking for a nice easy mask for their anxiety issues.

And I happen to be a qualified nurse as well as a short term diazepam user myself so I don't just take into account hearsay off a couple of users who say it's harmless to take long term. I look at peer reviewed research papers.
    You have said the equivalent of "It's ok to smoke. I've been doing it all my life and I don't have cancer so it must be fine!"
    you've taken his post and totally twisted things, I've also been on 30mg of diazepam for around 17+ years. and i understand him completely. id rather be on them forever so i have a better quality of life. I've had so much CBT over the years its a joke. i can get so far but its never really helped, i think that depends on how bad your anxiety is!!
    i really take great offence at your comment about methadone/morphine as I've been a heroin addict for 20 years as i was self medicating for the anxiety as its an awesome anxiolytic. I'm now off the gear with the help of methadone reduction program. my point really about your comment is about doctors giving it to everyone and no one would suffer from anxiety or depression, that comment of yours is complete rubbish. as meths or morph are not good anxiolytics, i know as i use both to help with my addiction. if that was true i would not be suffering from severe anxiety & depression.
    my diazepam helps me get through each day so i would rather be addicted for the rest of my life, so i get his comment. its totally different to him saying the same thing about mine and other peoples drug addiction or alcoholics, to keep using/drinking.!!
    i also have regular health checks liver function etc to make sure my benzo usage isn't doing any damage WHICH IT IS NOT! and doctors have been panicked into not prescribing
    I've recently been put on pregabalin/lyrica which is a brilliant drug but that is only papering over the cracks as you say, but its given my life back and I'm now even more confident to get off the meths.
    so if these drugs give you a life why not take them, its a lot better than spending 20years trapped inside four walls. i may as well have been in prison. using the two drugs together has now totally changed my life and I'm able to function as normally as i can. I'm actually now that confident I'm looking at volunteer work for the hawk and owl trust.
    hope this made sense as writing is not my strong point! and I'm not trying to offend anyone. as I'm new to this site

I don't care about how long I have been taking my meds whether they are addicted or not. I have yearly check ups and blood tests.
    As long as I can carry on my life as best as I can, then I will not stop.
    Who was the person who is against foreign medical doctors?
    How awful! If it was not for a "foreign" surgeon I would not be alive today.
    I too do not want to offend anyone

I can't really judge because I've never been on long term meds..... but thought I would comment anyway ! I was given diazepam (which I believe is a form of valium????) for a few days to help me relax and sleep and although they worked initially and I loved them, after a few days they made me feel awful. Luckily for me, my doctor is anti-meds (a very last resort path) so I had to fight it with sheer willpower. I believe it can be done but then my anxiety issues aren't as severe as some stories I have read. I think you have to do what is best for you and your quality of life. Just my opinion. xx

I always find it interesting how much fear there is over the addiction to diazepam, but not once have I been warned about the physical dependency of SSRI/SNRI's by my doctor.

I use diazepam on a on off basis and manage it well, I did have to taper once after using solidly for a couple of months and it was ok. Whereas coming off certain anti depressants was hell on earth. No one seems to shout from the rooftops about this and the GP's never mention it when prescribing. Also as some of the SSRI/SNRI meds are relatively new the long term use and effects are not fully known.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1977 View Post
    I always find it interesting how much fear there is over the addiction to diazepam, but not once have I been warned about the physical dependency of SSRI/SNRI's by my doctor.

I use diazepam on a on off basis and manage it well, I did have to taper once after using solidly for a couple of months and it was ok. Whereas coming off certain anti depressants was hell on earth. No one seems to shout from the rooftops about this and the GP's never mention it when prescribing. Also as some of the SSRI/SNRI meds are relatively new the long term use and effects are not fully known.
    I totally agree with you. I have been given diazapam to help with some of the really bad panic attacks I was getting and I was completely terrified of using it even on the odd occasion due to the horror stories I've read about it.

When I have taken it though it has meant that my parents have been able to go away for the weekend which has been a huge relief to all of us.

I've taken 10 tablets over 3 months but I still have no idea if that's too much or if its ok. One thing that my nurse has said to me though is that everyone is different and one horror story does not mean it will happen to everyone.

If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information