Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: night-time teeth grinding?

Question night-time teeth grinding?

Hi everyone - i am new here
    (have posted one post on health anxiety board)

I have been on sertraline for aprox 4 and a half weeks- it has been a bit of a rocky start- didnt feel much difference at first- had some horrible night sweats but now- i think they are starting to help- am eating better , feel a bit more myself, technically i am also sleeping more

BUT when I went to dentist he said he could tell i'd been grinding my teeth quit badly(it has caused me to have fillings done!)- I must say my teeth feel very sensitive - my jaw has been aching - and even my arm has been aching and shakey at times (which i think may be linked)

So- please has anyone had this? Is is a side-effect that improves?
    Any help and advice very much appreciated, best wishes, Ccat xxx

Re: night-time teeth grinding?

I am not on Sert but I am on Venlafaxine which also has the awful side effect of making me clench my jaw and grind my teeth. I actually managed to crack a wisdom tooth and had to have it removed!

I wake most mornings with a jaw ache and sensitive teeth. You can get your dentist to make a mouthguard but I believe they can be quite expensive. I use the Colgate pro-argin sensitive pro-relief toothpaste which I find helps.

I am 8 months into my medication and I still clench and grind my teeth especially at night when asleep. I can control it more during the day if I catch myself doing it.

Check this link for some helpful info & tips http://www.bruxism.org.uk/

I wish you all the best and hope yours manages to improve! Kitti

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Oh, and welcome to NMP!!

Just a thought it might be worth asking your dentist about a mouth guard to wear at night. I use one sometimes as I tend to grind my teeth allot at night It seems to help me.

Nick

Thumbs up Re: night-time teeth grinding?

Ah- thank you kitticat- oh heck it does do damage doesn't it?! I have cracked 2 fillings

i shall try the toothpaste and Thank you for the link and your kind welcome

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

Thank you Nick- I will look into that- am due to see dentist to get fillling fixed anyway

Ccat

Well just an update Ccat...I broke my last remaining wisdom tooth last night with the damn clenching and grinding

Urgent dental appointment for me now I think, get the bloody thing out before it causes me all the grief the last one did!

I am going to enquire about the mouthguard too or I won't have any teeth left at this rate I will let you know lol

Me too! Like Kitti, I'm also on venlafaxine and I'm always clenching my teeth. So far, my teeth are all intact but my jaw aches a lot. When I mentioned it to my dentist, he said that if it carries on, he'd make me a splint to wear at night to align my jaw in a better position so that I wouldn't do it when I'm asleep.

To be honest, I think I've always done it. Medication just seems to have made it worse. I try not to worry about it because it's worth the trade off with crippling anxiety any day!

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Oh no kitticat- so sorry to hear that!- yes definately ask about guard to see if it helps= sorry not to reply sooner have a had a rough few days

love Cat xxx

that is interesting pipkin- yes i wonder if i was doing it already but meds have made it worse

love ccat xxx

Hi all, thought I'd join in here as I'm on day 6 of starting Sert. 50mg.

I've definitely noticed that I am finding myself with a clamped jaw, not so much the grinding but just clamping down as if I were angry or tense?

I have had a bit of jaw ache as a result, which I noticed first actually but now it makes sense in retrospect.

It's just interesting to see how this drug affects everyone, at least we can recognise that some experiences are shared by others. Sometimes I wonder if things I am feeling/experiencing are normal behaviour or the drug.

Are the benefits of this medicine enough to risk losing your teeth over? (Honest question.)

Quote Originally Posted by eight days a week View Post
    Are the benefits of this medicine enough to risk losing your teeth over? (Honest question.)

In my opinion...yes!! Not sure where I would be now without my medication...and I'm sure the dentist will advise me on the teeth issue

@ Cat...so sorry to hear you are having a bad time, sending you a big hug and positive thoughts hun xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information