Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waking up from sleep in the middle of the night with a panic attack

Waking up from sleep in the middle of the night with a panic attack

Hi,

This used to happen to me a lot, but hasn't in ages. It happened last night and was the worst it has ever been. I went to sleep about midnight and an hour and a half later awoke and was disorientated, petrified I was dying. I couldn't breathe and was light headed and my heart was racing. I also had a headache which I still have today. It took me hours to calm down and go back to sleep because I was afraid it would happen again and I was convinced I was dying.

Has anyone else got experience of this and what can I do to stop it happening?

Sally

Re: Waking up from sleep in the middle of the night with a panic attack

I used to get it a lot, once you get your Anx under control it will die off

Been having this a lot recently, keep waking up feeling mental and for some reason wanting to die. I don't feel like that in the morning though thankfully. Nothing to do about it except get your adrenaline levels down.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Hi Sally - just replied to another post of yours about headaches but I used to suffer with this too. Infact, this is what triggered my anxiety in the first place. Jerking awake in a panic, feeling disorientated and detached from reality and petrified of going back to sleep. I have no easy answers to get rid of it because mine lasted a while because I was so highly anxious. It wasn't until my anxiety levels dropped (weeks later) that I was able to sleep soundly. All I can advise is work on trying to relax more at night and don't force sleep. It will get better. xx

Thanks - this is what kick started my anxiety sixteen years ago as well. The first time it happened I went to A and E and because I was pregnant they treated me as if I had a blood clot just in case. It later was diagnosed I had infact experienced my first panic attack. I has them a lot but not for a few years now. Last night was seriously the worst ever and I am exhausted and recovering today. Very scared of going to sleep tonight.

Sally

This happened to me last night as well. First I couldn't sleep because of adrenaline and so I actually exercised to try to get it out. When I finally fell asleep, I woke a few hours later in the same state. It seems continuous. I have no idea how to calm it down. Tried meditations and soft music but whenever I wake up it's the same sensation. Hoping to hear how others get their physical symptoms to calm down.

x Regina
    Last edited by Regina; 06-06-13 at 16:52.

Hugs to you both. For me personally my physical symptoms didn't stop until my mind was calmer. The more I thought about stuff that scared me the worse my symptoms became. At one stage I didn't sleep for 3 days because I was petrified of waking up in that familiar state of panic. I was delirious! My doctor put me on diazepam for a week so that I could at least get a proper sleep. Once I came off the diazepam I felt calmer and gradually the night attacks stopped. I've never been on medication since but it was the kick start I needed to get a grip on it.

Regina; I know you said meditation didn't work for you but even today I rely on a hypnotic recording to help me relax at night. I didn't 'get it' at first but I stuck with it and now it has become a nightly ritual for me. Even my partner who has never had anxiety issues finds it helpful.

i have had this and its nasty, i always watch something on my phone to calm down it does help as a distraction if you have a partner i suggest sound off!!! blessings

I Absoloutely understand what u are going through I had this not last night but the night before, I went to sleep and then at 3am my yes pinged open and I was wide awake, my heart was racing and I got scared this then starte the pani attack I couldn't calm down even after I had taken 2mg Valium it's horrible and seems much more scary at night last nights took 2mg Valium before I went to bed to try and calm me down I totally empathise with you, take care xxxx

I have to say that I have stuck with the hypnosis recordings on the ipod at night and it has begun to help a bit. When it's bad, it's darned near impossible to focus on anything, but during the less severe ones before the adrenaline kicks in fully, it's helped me focus on calming back down. I continue to wake up suddenly, but it seems better the last few nights, so thank you for the suggestion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information