Thread: AM I losing it? Is this Normal? Will I be ok ?

AM I losing it? Is this Normal? Will I be ok ?

We were relocated from katrina.We were some of the lucky ones that had somewhere to go ,property 1200 miles away that we had bought several years ago.We left 12 hours before the storm and were able to get all of our children to leave.They are grown now and we lived in New Orleans for over 20 years.We have been diagnosed as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.The way we found out was I was hearing a pulse in my head all of the time which the doctor says is because of ear tubes.I am scheduled with an ent in a few weeks.I was so shocked about the PTSD because other than missing our children I didn't feel that depressed or stressed but suppose we are.My question is to you that when I wake in the mornings I look out over the property and see the mountains and some mornings I feel very secure and good about living here.Other days I wake and feel like we are living on another planet.Its so different..I feel sometimes as if my mind refuses to accept that this is now home...We were one of the fortunate ones that were able to take early retirement because of investments we made years ago and also we were able to repair our home there in New Orleans and sell it quickly.We were so busy for so long that we really didn't have time to think about where we are or what we were doing.Our nearest child is living 750 miles away.They are all now from west coast to east coast and everywhere in-between am taking zoloft for my depression and my wife is on prozac.This place is so rural and so different from any place I have ever lived and its over 8000ft..Do you think that one day I will accept this as home and be at peace here? Sometimes I feel that I love it here and others I hate it.Sometimes I feel that I want to get out and ride around others I feel anxious about doing that..Most of the time its hard to know what I feel...Its cold here but I sweat sometimes..Is that normal? I told my GP about it and she said everything I mentioned was because of stress..Its like I go through thousands of emotions a day.My wife and I have both lost lots of weight and our apetites isn't that of what it used to be although we were overweight to start with and now I know its helpful that we are at a better weight..but I worry about getting too little.I also worry about losing my mind..We socialize with a few people every few days but not that often.For the most part we feel isolated by our location..Does this all sound normal and will pass or will it get worse and we will eventually lose it? Does altitude and weather cause that much of a physiological change in us or just the major change? I keep thinking we have nothing to be depressed about ,we made it ok and had very little problems so why should it be anything that bothers us? My mind is trying so very hard to analyze everything and put it into perspective and look at the positive things..but sometimes its like I am at war with my brain...Can you help me with my thoughts about what has happened and where we are and if the change in temperture and altitude contribute...Thank you for your help in advance..

Hi, I have heard a lot recently about a treatment for PTSD called EMDR. Maybe you should do some research into it, (but if you see someone you should make sure that they are very well qualified). I really hope it can help you, its meant to be a revolutionary treatment.

Hi,

I think it is very understandable that you feel dislocated in your new surroundings. Let's face it you were forced to relocate and are no longer around where you chose to live. I know that it takes time to get used to altitude changes but you have, I assume, lived there for a year so I would think you would be used to it by now. You mention that you have been diagnosed by PTSD but did not say by whom, a GP, a psychiatrist, psychologist? I would suggest getting counseling for both of you as you have been through a very traumatic experience. Moving alone is one of the top 5 most traumatic experiences we go through in this life, being forced to because of a hurricane and losing ones' home is a whole other ballgame, don't you think? Nothing like this has happened in the USA before and no-one was prepared, we are all still wrapping our brains around it. Even those not directly invoved in this tragedy still can't comprehend what happened, I just can't imagine how those involved are doing it. So, give yourself time, praise God for how lucky you were to have a home to go to, and get some counseling for what you went though. That would be my advice. You are both mighty brave souls to start a whole new life and I wish you both the best of luck!

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

Hello, I would back up everything that Southern Belle has just said. We in the UK were absolutely horrified at what we saw on TV and can't imagine what it must have been like to be under threat like that. Do try and get some help, you have both been through a lot of trauma and need some support, don't feel that your worries aren't valid because you got out in time, you have been forced to give up the life you had and to start again somewhere else. You have been very courageous. Good luck and I wish you well.

Thread Information