Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Sertraline Diary

Post My Sertraline Diary

I thought I would write this diary to help me, and anyone else on Sertraline who wants to share. Hope it helps!

ME

I am 45 mum of two. Had my first ever panic attack 2 years ago, Probably due to health worries, brought on by a scare. I didn't know or understand what was happening to me and was up A & E and the doctors frequently. I found this site and initially found it extremely helpful until I realised I was focusing on other peoples health anxiety and experiencing their symptoms it also became like a (Dr Google) if you know what I mean. I left for a while and occasionally popped in to get advice. I was taking a small dose of 15 mg citalopram for a short while and gained 2.5 stone, and didn't think it was working.

Then last year my husband of 43 had massive heart attack and we nearly lost him. It was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. My focus changed, I was focused on him and my girls, and so my anxiety symptoms dissipated. I thought I was over anxiety for good and so came off the meds and although knew in my heart I was not completely well just tried to get on with our lives.

Its been a year since my husbands heart attack and about a month ago it all came back the panic attacks, anxiety symptoms, constant health worries... I have tried to cope using all the self help I had learnt the first time around. Yoga, lavender, relaxation techniques etc but it's not working.

I spoke to my GP and she told me that I possibly had PTSD, and I never really dealt with my previous issues....the minute you let your guard down!
    She has suggested I start sertraline 50 mg. She Warned me of the possible side effects and said they would settle down after a while but to try and ride them.... So here goes. (apologies for any spelling)

Day 1

I was a little nervous about taking it. Deep breaths first one at lunch time, come on its a fresh start! I now realise I should have taken it at dinner time. so that any side effects I get will be in my sleep...der! I will tomorrow.
    Symptoms 7pm Pins and needles up both arms, lips pulsing and dragging, burning sensation in tummy lasted about an hour. Bed at 11:30 a good nights sleep!
    Woke up very dizzy and have felt that way most of the day. Work was a bit of a worry but I soldiered on! Foggy head, dry mouth and slight nausea! symptoms of anxiety or side effects to sertraline?
    6pm feel tired, what will the next tablet bring?
    Last edited by carefree68; 07-06-13 at 19:56. Reason: spelling

Re: My Sertraline Diary

Day 2
    Took my dose in the evening, by 11:00 was asleep on the sofa, could not keep my eyes open. A Good nights sleep.
    Woke up with nausea and a foggy head, not sure if this is all normal?
    Dull headache and muscle tension. Took the dog for a long walk to clear everything. By lunchtime felt a little better but really fatigued. Slept in the sunshine this p.m (dont try this at home) and woke feeling nausea again, and a little dizzy/spacey. Nothing I cant handle at the moment
    oh no muscle twitching and feel like I cant sit still, this is annoying!

Anyone else sertraline felt like this in the early days?
    Last edited by carefree68; 08-06-13 at 21:42. Reason: update

You go through all range of symptoms on starting meds or in my case I did but yes all normal after 10 months I increased today so se may happen again for me but so far coped today. Hang in there is slow to work but does. X

Thank you for your reply, do you mind me asking how soon after did you notice a difference?

It really crept up on me overtime good mins, hours, days then weeks. I need to go up as its still underlying still have few days a month where I'm really bad so hoping higher dose will know it on the head xx

Thanks that good to know, as it seems to be constant anxiety at the moment, so just looking forward to any kind of break really. x

Yep thats how the path to recovery been for me and reading others experiences, you will get there I promise. Pm me anytime x

Quote Originally Posted by carefree68 View Post
    Thank you for your reply, do you mind me asking how soon after did you notice a difference?
    Hi Carefree,

Really feel for you, it will be 13 weeks (tomorrow) that I have been taking this medication, and it's been only really since last week that I have been feeling consistently better during the day. That said, I found my evenings and sleeping improved much more quickly (can't accurately remember when though).

Try to stick with it if you can, I remember feeling very disheartened when I was reading people were feeling better at about 4-6 weeks. As I said above, the first thing to improve were my evenings and sleeping, and when this began to happen I was hopeful that it might help me during the day as it built up in my system.

I am now feeling so much better and more positive, and my obsessive worrying has calmed, but it did take a lot longer for me. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I was considering asking for a change of tablets, but I am really glad I stuck it out, any side effects I had are almost gone too.
    I wish you loads of luck on your recovery and take care.

J xx

Hey J, Thanks for your reply and for giving me a realistic goal. I had a really bad day yesterday but a much better day today. Its the constant nervousness (feeling on the edge) thats exhausting. Im going to give it a good go!
    Thanks again and ditto

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

Day 3

Not a great day! Constant headaches, waves of nausea muscle weakness, teeth clenching and extremely fatigued. Felt like I was walking through sand. Felt anxious. It says to call doc with muscle weakness, not sure whether its anxiety of meds. Anyone else have these side effects?

Worried and tired

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

Day 4

Work today, feeling better. No headache or muscle weaknes. Still waves of nausea and shattered. I think work was a distraction and I kept busy when I got home at lunch time. Had course work to do on the mac and felt a little shaky and dizzy. But overall not a ba day. Best day so far

Feeling Hopeful
    Last edited by carefree68; 10-06-13 at 22:07.

Day 5

Got up feeling really rubbish, nervous, nausea, pins and needles. Had a course today which I love, so was not nervous about going. Half way through the couse had a mild panic attack. Hot/cold sensations travelling up my arms, tummy butterfly sensation, vision blurred and the tutor was speaking I could see her mouth moving but could not understand her...tunnel vision. Why? whats that all about? Im so fed up with this.

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Cooking dinner left side of face and neck went numb couldnt catch me breath then tingling lasted about an hour. No appetite, I seem to be getting worse not better. I suppose there are going to be ups and downs and my GP did say to try and ride the side effects...if thats what they are...always an element of doubt.

will this ever end
    Last edited by carefree68; 11-06-13 at 19:48.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information