Thread: Emergency reduction of Mirtazapine - Mood swings?

Emergency reduction of Mirtazapine - Mood swings?

Hey everyone,

I was doing all right for a week or two on the mirtazapine. It was given to me by the psychiatrists I saw at the emergency room three weeks ago when I had a breakdown. Initially it helped a lot, I felt settled and calm. But then slowly, some horrible side effects started growing.

Cold sweats when I did anything strenuous (it's cold here in my city right now, as it's winter), no libido, barely any positive emotions at all, panic, depression (in quick cycles that turn on a dime), brief phases of feeling perfectly fine, severe dizziness, feeling like passing out, and racing thoughts. Soon depression and suicide ideation followed, and I had been recovering quite well a week ago.

I felt like it was the pill mucking with me. I'm very sensitive to drugs in general, and I can usually feel it when it's a drug and not my actual emotions. Problem is that all my CBT techniques aren't working so well with these "freakouts" I'm having on the drug. It got to a critical point yesterday when I couldn't cope anymore. I phoned a pharmacist and they said that given that I've only been taking mirtazapine for three weeks, it shouldn't be too rough to come off it again, especially since I'm on such a low dose (15mg).

Some of the physical symptoms have eased off a bit, but have any of you noticed mood fluctuations when coming off of mirtazapine?

I've felt like I've been going crazy this week, it's been terrible. First the drug increasing in my system, and now coming off of it, I'm terrified I won't be able to cope on my own. I'm on Lovan and Endep (fluoxetine 20mg and Amytriptiline 10mg) as well, and I'm hoping easing off the mirtazapine won't be too terrible.

Diagnosed: Depression, Assault trauma, Generalised Anxiety Disorder

Being Investigated: OCD, Adult ADD

Prescriptions: Fluoxetine, Amitryptiline, Mefenamic Acid.

Re: Emergency reduction of Mirtazapine - Mood swings?

I don't know how your withdrawal form mirtazapine will be? I have withdrawn form the drug twice in the past and both times have done it very very slowly. It can have some nasty withdrawal effects. I experienced severe panic attacks and anxiety and took diazapan to get over it. My most recent attempt to go from 45mg to 30mg ended in failure. I could not cope with the crippling anxiety and panic. I admitted failure and went back up to 45mg. This was after two weeks. I believe my withdrawals went on for about three weeks. It won't be pleasant but once they are over hopefully that will be it! EJ

I was much the same tapering off, I had such terrible anxiety and I was sick every day for about an hour or 2 for a few days. I thin kit took me about 3 weeks too EJ before I felt much better but those days are just a bad memory now which I hope you will hang on to AC xxxxx

It's hard. The depression and panic are really kicking my arse. I also don't want to get hooked onto daily valium, ya know? I'm talking to my GP on Wednesday morning, so hopefully I can get some better support for this process.

Hi Amaryllis,

There's no need to be worried about getting hooked on Valium. If it's doing the job when nothing else is at the moment, then your mental health is more important. Coming off can be dealt with later, but shouldn't be a big problem if you have only been using Valium for a short time.

I took 2.5mg of Valium this afternoon because the anxiety I was feeling was terrible, but it didn't do much. I'm scared to take a full 5mg, I don't want to get used to the pills. But it's the only thing I've got to help me through the symptoms. I am seeing my doctor again on Thursday.

I am now on 3/8ths of a pill, and I'm going to try going down to a quarter of a pill tomorrow. The pills are 15mg, and I am very sensitive to drugs. Is it normal for me to feel paranoid, moody, dizzy, and just generally horrid? My appetite is totally screwed as well.

Sometimes the only way I can cope with anything is to sit very, very still. Is that weird? Of course, then I feel guilty for not getting up, moving around, doing things.

Thread Information