Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one good with computers..I have done a stupid thing!!

Any one good with computers..I have done a stupid thing!!

Really really stressed out! My wireless printer has suddenly not recognised my computer. I have tried a total of 3 hours to sort it. It will print with USB cable in but not without. I tried to call what I thought was HP helpline. They took over control of my laptop. Got my email address and phone number. I realised that they were not genuine when they started talking about irrelevant files and telling me I had loads of trojans they would have to remove. Now I am sitting here crying wondering if they have harmed my computer and the problem is still unresolved :(

Re: Any one good with computers..I have done a stupid thing!!

Where did you find the number you rang?

Did you delete or install any files during the conversation?

Do you have anti-virus and/or anti-malware software on your computer?

Oh dear Annie, what are you like. If the worst comes to the worst you can do a backu and restore - do you have the disks that came with your computer?

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Can you phone the real hp helpline? How did they take over your computer, did you give them your ip address?

They took control of the computer but he was just showing me a list of MSN things that have stopped running and he said they should not have stopped and he showed a page saying I have trojans and that is why they have stopped and that is why I am having problems with my computer. I have anti virus on and I am doing a full scan now. I found the number when I googled HP but soon realised it isn't even though he told me it was.

---------- Post added at 10:19 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

They told me to type in a code and I let them take over because I thought it was HP> I can only find USA numbers for the real HP site

Don't worry too much. It could be that the number you rang was a generic computer helpline service. They may not be sinister but might want you to buy their products.

To be safe you might want to delete any cookies on your computer and run an anti-spyware program. You can get safe downloads at cnet.

Does your computer have other problems other than the printer connection?

I just checked and it was techvidic or something that I phoned

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

No it has no other problems.

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

How do I delete cookies?

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

I could do everything on my last computer but this is windows 8

Who are the people you rang? I think you need to change yor security if you think they are dodgy. I don't use a pc I'm a mac person so not sure how you'll do this. I'll see if I can find a number for you

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

Here's the HP number:
    http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

I've looked up Techvidic and they don't seem bad for your computer, usually just try and charge you extortionate amounts of money to do things that your computer doesn't need! So you should be fine.

I have found a number for HP they are putting me through to the fraud team as it wasn't HP I phoned but they told me they were genuine HP.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Have spoken to the real HP who were very helpful but connection problem is still not been solved. They have gone through loads of tests and problem seems to be the reuter connection. Need to phone BT but I need time to destress first. This had mafe me realise how easy my anx can creep back. I have cried most of the morning. I have also got a bit angry which isnt like me :(

the thing to remember is this, annie ........ Its very easy to get caught out and yes, when you realise what's happened you will be stressed & anxious (and indeed angry too). Its a natural reaction.
    But Even the calmest of people may well feel all of this too! Their reaction may not last as long but they may not have a history of anxiety so for them the stress is shorter lived.
    Saying that, all anyone can do.... is deal with it.
    And, when you stop & think.... that's exactly what you have done.
    You have taken good advice from the others here and have dealt with it.
    Dont beat yourself up over this or dwell on how you reacted. Like I said, it's a natural reaction. We all have disasters with our computers, it happens to us all. And even if we are really knowledgeable, sometimes things go wrong.

Were you able to delete the cookies?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information