Thread: modifed barium swallow for globus

Unhappy modifed barium swallow for globus

I've been suffering from what I think is Globus for over 3 months now. when before when I just had trouble eating, I am having difficult time swallowing liquid even my own saliva. I have to think about it every time I swallow. My doctor and counselor advised me to get the modifed barium swallow. I was wondering of anyone has got this done? if so, is it scary, painful? and after the test what happened? Was it globus? If so, did it diminish after it was found that nothing was physically wrong?

Re: modifed barium swallow for globus

The modified barium swallow is super easy, so don't worry! You sit in a chair and there's an x-ray machine next to you. You eat things of varying consistency, which have a bit of a tracer in them. I ate a honey substance, a nectar substance, a pudding substance, and a cookie. I think something else but I forget. It takes like five minutes and you just eat a tiny bit of each. They can see right then how it's going down and whether or not it's going into your lungs. Then the speech therapist watching you can determine whether or not you need therapy, medication, or if it's globus.

I had it done and saw that things were going down but I am still having issues. My doctor thinks it's esophageal spasms or a motility issue. The modified barium swallow only shows that it's going down the right pipe, not how it is once it's in your esophagus. For that, you'd do a regular barium swallow.

Just be sure to drink a little extra water afterwards because the barium can be slightly constipating. But they don't use very much of it.

Thread Information