Thread: Cervical smear/cancer anxiety!

Cervical smear/cancer anxiety!

Hi ladies I'm new to this site after googling symptoms for hours I came across this! I've recently been diagnosed with health anxiety and am undergoing a course of cbt.
    I have my routine smear today and am extremely anxious and have been for the past week, constantly looking up things on the Internet, convinced my results are going to come back sinister!
    My last one 3 years ago was normal and I ill with worry then even ringing the laboratory where the results are processed to ask them if they were ready!

Anyway, anyone offering any advice or support would be great? I'm scared to look at information specifically on cervical cancer so if anyone has any facts that would be great to offer reassurance!
    I don't know if there are previous posts about this and if it is quite a common anxiety, I don't mind the procedure it's the waiting for results!

Re: Cervical smear/cancer anxiety!

Hi Lmc83, what makes you think you have cervical cancer? This is a routine Pap yes?

Re: Cervical smear/cancer anxiety!

First of all, I'm sure you're going to be just fine hun

I really don't think it's good for you to worry yourself sick like this over something that's probably absolutely okay

The cell changes that are picked up sometimes when we have a smear are NOT cancer, so please rest assured about that.

Even if cell changes are picked up, many, many of them will go back to normal on their own, which is why if they are only mild changes, your doctor would usually call you in for a repeat smear in around 6 months

And even if the cell changes are moderate or severe, treatment is given to remove the effected cells and once that treatment is done, there are usually no more problems

I, myself, had moderate changes, I had some treatment which was completed in less than an hour, I went home absolutely ok if just a little sore. That was way back in 2003 and since then my smears have been perfectly normal and I have a very healthy cervix

But you'll find it more comfortable and helpful to yourself if you get this word "cancer" out of your mind. They are just cells changes that's all, and very important to remember is that it can be put right easily and quickly.

Try to stop torturing yourself with these scary thoughts hun, I know it's really hard, I'm good at scaring myself too!! lol

I'm sure that all will be well for you and remember it's nothing dreadful even if changes are picked up, it's NOT cancer hun

Thread Information