Thread: 2 weeks on low dose ami- where to go next?

2 weeks on low dose ami- where to go next?

Hi
    Afetr bad SSRI experiences( Citalopram, sertraline) with mega increased anxiety I have started on ami on the advice of neurologist

I have black tongue and some blurred vision but only 2 weeks in at 5mg, the neuro wants me up to 50mg! go up 5mg every 2 weeks which will take forever for anti anxiety effect?

Im also due to see a phych, what levels of ami work for anxiety? (mine is quite high- jitteriness due to stopping SSRI early , just a few days and then probably fuelling my anxiety) and what could he combine it with for anxiety and some resulting depression?.Or take me off the ami and start something else

my life is way off normal at the moment and hoping the pych can ramp me up on something else too

i have diazepam as a back up but reluctant to take unless dire emergency

Thanks

Re: 2 weeks on low dose ami- where to go next?

I think they say 75mg + for depression/anxiety with amitriptyline.

I was put on it for nerve pain starting at 10mg and worked up to 100mg. I found around the 50mg mark it started making me feel quite chilled out and have a more 'steady' mood. If you get what I mean? This effect increased as the dose went up, although so did the side effects. - blurred vision, dry eyes & mouth, dehydration, constipation, increased appetite (sugar/carbs!), raised heart rate and some dizziness...... nothing serious just annoying.

The weight gain was the deal breaker for me as I've had weight problems all my life and I don't need to be taking anything that will make me hungrier & fatter! So I weaned back the dosage and the anxiety returned. So now I'm starting Citalopram for anxiety whilst supposedly taking the 50mg Ami for pain.
    Last edited by yenool; 13-07-13 at 13:01.

Thread Information