Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and Lyrica doses

Anxiety and Lyrica doses

I have been taking Lyrica 25mg once a night for a few months. Reason being twofold; i have a herniated C6 and have varying left sided neck, shoulder and back pain and I also suffer from long term Anxiety (especially related to my health, but not exclusively. I have what ive heard others call meta-anxiety - anxiety about being anxious).

I was thinking about starting to take Lyrica in the morning too and then gradually increase the dosage up to an effective level.

I guess my worry is about the side effects of increasing the dosage, and also what kind of dosage i would have to reach for it to be effective for both problems. I know there's no hard and fast answer as everyone is different, but I would like to know if anyone else has side effects when increasing the dosage. Are they as bad as when you first start taking Lyrica or generally less?

I really don't like to take medication too much, but Ive been "out of order" for nearly a year now and really need to reach a functioning level of life as opposed to just getting by with constant distress.

Re: Anxiety and Lyrica doses

No responses to any of my posts, lol. Lucky that im not paranoid or I might think no one likes me!

Did you know that Lyrica was originally prescribed for epilepsy, then for pain and then as an anti depressant. Like so many druges it makes me sceptical if the doctors really know if they are prescribing the right drug for the right condition and the right patient.
    After numerous anti depressants I had a course of Lyrica which wasn't particularly helpful but I gained two stone.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks for the reply Ricardo,

I completely agree with you on that. Some doctors (mine included) dont really inspire confidence in how they are treating you. They are quick to give you medicines, even if they are not entirely sure whats the problem is.

My GP is thinking Lyrica is the best bet for me as it is supposed to target two of my major issues - Pain as well as Anxiety, although the cause of pain hasn't had a real diagnosis. Interestingly, there is some kind of connection between the two, they nearly always seem to come together. I dont understand how medical professionals can treat a problem if they dont know what the problem is.

I'm sorry to hear Lyrica wasn't effective for you. From my understanding its very hit and miss as to whether it will work. Some people swear by it and others find it useless. I guess maybe i need to pluck up the courage to increase the dosage and find out. I have a real fear of medicinal side effects, especially since i started taking Effexor. That was horrendous and nobody should have to experience that amount of prolonged suffering.

Thanks again for your reply... hope its not the last reply i ever get!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi there.

I've been taking pregabalin for a month now. I'm on 50mg morning, 50mg midday, and 100mg at night. I can't say it's doing much, if anything, for my anxiety and I can't comment on pain as I'm not taking it for pain. I'm steadily increasing to see if it does have any positive effect on my anxiety. I have experienced no side effects at all, neither when starting or increasing.

Hopefully more people taking this drug can give some more helpful advice

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow
    (✿◠‿◠)

Obviously you'd need to clear dosage adjustments with your GP, as he is aware of your medical history and any other medications you take that may interact.

It's unusual to take it once a day, as it has a very short half life. Usual is 2-3 times a day.

I had very little measurable benefit till I reached 400mg (200 morning & night).

Thanks Panda and Mark,

I was told its supposed to be taken more than once a day, but i didnt progress from the starting dose of one 25mg at night because I was very concerned about the side effects ( at least whilst adjusting) making my anxiety worse. I will speak to my GP on monday to talk about how to increase as I seem to be very sensitive to these kind of medications.

Mark, how do you find you feel on the 200mg x2? Is your anxiety much better and do you feel any side effects? I have heard some people talk about how it makes them forgetful and mentally slower. I guess this may not be the case for everyone taking it.

Hope to hear more from you guys in a similar boat to me!

Hi eldimoni,

I take 600 mg per day. Even allowing for all the variations between people, I can't see how 25 mg per day is having a great effect.

The reason for taking it in more than one dose per day is due the short half life. Over time, levels in the body build up, reducing this effect.

My feeling is that pregabalin has made me more focused, not the reverse.
    Last edited by hanshan; 21-06-13 at 13:42.

Hi Hanshan,

I agree, the amount I am taking is tiny and I honestly don't expect any effect at this dose. To be honest I haven't increased or stopped altogether because I am in two minds about which option to take.

Can I ask how long you have been taking it and how quickly you came up to that amount?

I'm being really indecisive; i can see the potential benefits Lyrica may bring, but Im worried that its side effects may be harsh and/or make me mentally slower (as i have heard some people taking it mention).

I think when adjusting to Effexor, the side effects have given me some kind of phobia about new medications and their effects. The Effexor side effects were horrendous for about a month - straight from Satans backside!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information