Thread: memory reminders

memory reminders

hey all,
    does anybody feel like i do?
    i have only just realised properly that wherever i have had a symptom, mostly in the house, that memory triggers it again and again in the same room, place etc. i know its just a trick of the mind but the other day i avoided sitting on our armchair as i felt the dread coming and actually sat on the sofa instead, im worried that i will have nowhere to go in the house soon. there are a lot of fearful memories around the house when i was at my worst and i know time will fade these but i was curious if anyone else has experienced this?
    thanks
    julie

we are all stronger people after having this

hi i am the same at times but mostly outside ,like the post office or the multi car park.Iam told we need to face thr fear and confront them as hard as it may seem.Ive done that and its hard but it works.Next time you feel the fear grab it and do it.Sit on that chair,go to that room and let the fear wash over you nothing bad will happen i promise.

Hi Julie.

Can totally relate. Anxiety drains my energy and one of the first effects of my anxiety was to stop me doing housework, so my home is a bit neglected. And that in turn gets me down.

The safest place for me is usually the car, as that doesn't have any long term memories associated with it (although I did spin off the road once[Duh!])

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi,
    Yes i can also totally relate!
    My memories and habits always let me down, for example just looking at my shoes will set me off panicking as i am agoraphobic and fear outside.
    I am also trying to give up smoking at the moment and i can see more than ever now how our habits and memories affect our behaviour, for example when i have a cigarette i sit on my bean bag by the fireplace and smoke up the chimney, today when i sat on the bean bag i instantly felt drawn to my tobacco even though i didnt even want a cigarette at the time.
    Ive now taken the bean bag out of the lounge.
    I suppose we need to break these habits as they dont do us any good and focus more on the positive memories!..wish that could be easier though.
    x

I was. But the best thing to do is stay there. Avoidance is never the answer! I know thats easier sai than done but why dont just just try and sit there. Its your anxiety, thoughts can not hurt you xxxxx

Hi.

I know what you mean that has happened to me a few times. Not really sure what to say about it. Just keep thinking you can beat this and don't let it put you off sitting in certain places.

Scooby2005
    x x

Hi JuJu I have this problem too, thats why I don't like travelling.......I can get on a flight to Greece but can't go to my local town because I hate the roundabout!!!! Strange I know but its because I had a bad experience with panic there I think. I have tried really hard lately to go there and it does get better ever time but if I haven't been for a while the anxiety builds up again!:(

Steph

thanks all,
    im glad its not just me i thought i was losing the plot.
    julie

we are all stronger people after having this

Thread Information