Thread: I Don't Think This Is Just Anxiety Anymore. Petechiae And Bruises.

I Don't Think This Is Just Anxiety Anymore. Petechiae And Bruises.

Has anyone here ever had Petechiae? I found two spots of it on my Chest on Wednesday and I have since discovered more. Some on my arms and a lot on my legs and foot. Although I was in a panic about this Yesterday, I thought ' Well if it was Leukaemia I'd have other Symptoms like Bruising'. Woke up this Morning and low and behold, a Petechiae Spot on my foot has developed into a Bruise. This Bruise is smaller than a 5p coin. I have previously had Health Anxiety other Leukaemia before and I remember the GP saying 'The ones I'm looking out for are Bruises that are smaller than a 5p Coin'. So for any of those who have had Petechiae, does it always develop into bruising like this? Or does mine signify something more serious?

Thank You .
    xxx

Re: I Don't Think This Is Just Anxiety Anymore. Petechiae And Bruises.

The good news is that the most common cause of petchiae is trauma, often it can be as simply as lying on a rough surface or putting pressure on a part of the body, which leads to a rather alarming-looking rash, and of course allergies may produce dermatitis rashes which in some cases can look very similar. Without seeing the spots it is difficult to offer further specific advice, and it is not possible to give you the likely cause over the internet from a descrition.

Obviously, petechiae and bruising are obviously not linked to anxiety, andgiven this problem has spread and is followed by unexplained bruising, I would recommend you have it investigated as soon as you can. If it becomes severe (i.e. more purpura develop), I would recommend going to A&E straight away, rather than waiting for a GP appointment. If it has been accompanied by other symptoms, such as weakness, shortness of breath when performing normal activities, pallor, etc which signify anaemia, then again I would recommend going to A&E rather than waiting for a GP appointment.

Can anyone else help? I have no idea what to do. I just know it's Leukaemia. Please tell me these are more common that I think they are.xxx.

They are very common, and the vast majority of cases are not related to disease. I would not start to panic about it just yet, but would recommend you have them investigated. There are a lot of causes besides blood cancers, most of which are very easily treated and cured. Leukaemia is simply one of a great number of diseases which can present this way, and is a comparatively rare illness.

Thank You for replying. It's just mine are widespread and I know theres no other cause like clothing friction, allergies, medication or anything like that. Now one has gone slightly Bruised I just can't see it being anything else.xxx

Quote Originally Posted by joelhall View Post
    They are very common, and the vast majority of cases are not related to disease. I would not start to panic about it just yet, but would recommend you have them investigated. There are a lot of causes besides blood cancers, most of which are very easily treated and cured. Leukaemia is simply one of a great number of diseases which can present this way, and is a comparatively rare illness.

Well there are various things like I said. It may be a type of anaemia, or a low platelet count from a benign cause. Leukaemia would make you become very ill, and it is not likely, but I would still recommend a GP check up and FBC.

ive had this before and went to doctors all scared. had all blood tests etc and it turned out it was just due to everyday living ie carrying heavy bags on shoulder, shoes too tight, leaning one foot on top of another. have it checked out but try not to worry as there are lots of reasons for it

Thread Information