<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">There are distinct differences in these approaches and the outcomes that the practitioners would deem a success.

Counselling will be a talking cure and as such when you've learnt to 'come to terms' with your problem, job done.

CBT will enable you to revise how you think and can generate lasting results; your symptoms dissipate, job done.

Other approaches will enable you to drill down into your unconsious mind to reveal and revise the reasons underpinning the cause of what's happening to you now, rather than work simply on the symptoms. The difference here is that if we treat just a symptom and do not address the cause you can set up a daisy chain effect of one phobia leading to another to another.

<div align="right">Originally posted by bb01234 - 07 January 2007 : 23:52:59</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
This makes a lot of sense to me and is exactly the route that I am trying.

I've spent a lot of my working career programming, so I tend to view the whole psychological makeup of a person as almost a self-learning programme.

I know that things in my subconscious have not been 100% for probably most of my life and initially manifested as shyness as a child, migrating to anger, depression, self-doubt, self-fulfilling prophesies and now panic attacks. If you can understand the root causes of the initial problems and other things along the way that have caused the the metamorphoses I think that you stand more chance of being able to rectify the "bad pieces of programming" in the subconscious which will have direct effects on the conscious mind.

Just my thoughts

My first Haiku - "To convey ones mood in seventeen syllables is very diffic"