Thread: Hello, Im John

Hello, Im John

Hey everyone, I'm John and i'm new here. I'm not usually much into posting on forums, but I have been diagnosed with panic disorder recently and often come on here to read other peoples experiences, so I figured I would come on and post, and tell you all a bit about me.

I'm just about to turn 22, I realized something was wrong when I was 17, but put off going to the doctors until I was about 20. I then tried cognitive behavioral therapy which was no help. So I spent the last year on citalapram 20mg/day which was a life saver. Unfortunately my doctor thought it was time I come off about 7-8 weeks ago, and the last 2 weeks I feel I have been back to square 1!

Look forward to chatting with you guys!

Re: Hello, Im John

Hi John

Hi John, and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment.

It seems to me that maybe you were doing so well due to the citalopram, rather than because you are recovered quite yet. I think you need to go back to the doctor and ask if going back on it would be a good idea. Long term stresses or anxiety can alter your brain chemistry, and maybe it's just going to take a little longer to sort that out.

John

Hope you find the help and support you need here. It`s a great site.

Thanks for the warm welcome, yeah edie, I was dealing with it for a few years without talking about it or being medicated which probably wasn't the best idea, I've been slightly better today and I will be visiting the doctor tomorrow.

Hi John
    Meds don't cure, only mask symptoms.. So you can often be back at square one when you come off them.
    You have to deal with the cause of your Anx eventually..
    But best see gp as you said.

That's the issue for me though stormsky, I have been racking my brain for 5 years now trying to establish whats causing it, and all that I can think of, is that i'm anxious about being anxious.

There you go, fearing the anxiety feelings, will keep more Anx coming. Anxiety feeds anxiety..
    It's catch 22 i know, but you need to just stop fearing the Anx when you feel it coming on...just say yeah whatever, not letting you bother me anymore, I'm sick and bored of you now...once you no longer care or fear the feelings, they'll die off..

Thread Information