Thread: First week off of Mirtazapine.

First week off of Mirtazapine.

Hey everyone.

So this Monday, after experiencing a gradual improvement in my moods and mental states since lowering the Mirtazapine, I came off it entirely. I was on a quarter of a 15mg pill. I went down to an 8th the next day, then just ceased it entirely.

I've been feeling moody again, but more than anything, I've been having cold sweats, feeling weak, dizzy and nauseous.

Despite those feelings, I feel like I have a more stable centre now, which has helped me get through these terrible feelings. The valium has helped, I take a half only when I feel that it's absolutely necessary, when the CBT and self-therapy isn't working. I am not allowing myself more than 5mg in a week period. Yes, I am that terrified of becoming addicted. Though, I took heaps of Lorazepam when my Mum and Dad were overseas for three months and I don't really recall any withdrawals. I reached the point they stopped working and actually made me MORE anxious way before I got to the point where I was addicted. That said, I'm being careful on the advice of doctors and pharmacists.

Has rescue remedy or valerian helped anybody? I'm wondering if it might take the edge off in the mornings.

Much love to all, and I hope you're all doing well.

Diagnosed: Depression, Assault trauma, Generalised Anxiety Disorder

Being Investigated: OCD, Adult ADD

Prescriptions: Fluoxetine, Amitryptiline, Mefenamic Acid.

Re: First week off of Mirtazapine.

Hi Amaryllis you have done very well to come off mirtazapine in such a short space of time. I would not worry about needing the odd Valium tablet for panic and anxiety. I have these in reserve too. I cannot remember when I took the last one though. I have no experience of rescue remedy or valerian.This is because I am also taking lithium as well as mirtazapine. The lithium contradindicates with many other meds. I have always found that I have needed something stronger. EJ

Well, I was taking 15mg a day for three weeks, then I tapered down very slowly - 3/4 of a pill for a couple of days, then a half for a few days, then 3/8ths for a bit, and then down to a quarter. I'm glad I went gradually as I was having a day or two of stable moods in between the shifts which made it easier for me to deal with. I had an 8th for a day, then thought, "This is getting silly" and just stopped it entirely.

I didn't expect it to make a difference, but it did. My body had a level of the stuff still in me, and then it wasn't getting the boost and I could feel it freaking out. Cold sweats, they were the worst. And a weird sort of anxiety that was more physical than emotional - deep down I didn't really have that much to be anxious about, as I have been studying Cognitive Behavioural strategies intensely lately. It was just sort of - there.

I find valium really helps me in emergency situations. I've never had any bad effects from it. Lorazepam stuffed with me a bit, I got rebound anxiety from that.

Ugh! This is a journey and a half! My psychologist is really pleased with my progress, though, and I have felt much more positive about everything since coming off the mirtazapine. For a while there I thought I was going crazy or something! It was good to know I wasn't, it was just anxiety, and we're okay for having that, it's a survival response. *sigh*

Last edited by Sandywood; 15-09-17 at 11:49.

Thanks, Sandy. I feel like I'm hiking up a very big hill, that has potholes along the way. And I'm carrying more than other people are carrying.

The problem is that I feel like I'm doing okay, and then something will happen and make it flare up again. It's really very hard.

I'm hoping that the effects of the mirtazapine are gone now. I was only one it for 21 days.

I'm in my late fifties. After having gone through every possible therapy for anxiety-depression from when I was young to now (around forty years or so), mirtazapine long-term has been beneficial, combined with pregabalin.

Sadly it was only helpful to me for a short window. Then my body disagreed with it.

Thread Information