Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just been prescribed Amitriptyline

Re: Just been prescribed Amitriptyline

OMG! The way you describe your anxiety around taking medication is exactly what I experience, imagining I'm having any of the possible side effects and also panic attacks following taking anything that is not paracetamol.

I too have been prescribed a 10mg dose of amitriptyline, but it has so far been sat on my bedside table as I am too worried to take it.

I am suffering from tension headaches, anxiety and insomnia.

Any encouragement would be gratefully appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikibee View Post
    OMG! The way you describe your anxiety around taking medication is exactly what I experience, imagining I'm having any of the possible side effects and also panic attacks following taking anything that is not paracetamol.

I too have been prescribed a 10mg dose of amitriptyline, but it has so far been sat on my bedside table as I am too worried to take it.

I am suffering from tension headaches, anxiety and insomnia.

Any encouragement would be gratefully appreciated!
    The only side effects I'm getting from this drug are dry mouth and mildly dry eyes. Also it's hard to drag yourself out of bed at 50mg

My GP gave me license to experiment from 10-50mg. I've settled at the moment on 10mg in the morning and 25mg evening.

I'd say 10mg is a low dose, the side effects should be any cause for concern, but of course it's your choice, I can only tell you my experience.

I find amitriptyline probably has the lowest SE profile of any drug I've taken on prescription (obviously OTC medications are milder).

I always trust my GP that a drug won't interact with any existing ones I'm already on, but every drug has it's SEs, it just depends what you can tolerate.

All I can say is I found this one had only mild side effects at low doses.

Good luck

I am on amitriptyline and it failed to affect migraines at 50mg, so I am back to 25mg, though on week ends I only take a half pill.

I am up to 75mg now for anxiety. It has helped me but I can get bad headaches as a side effect but this is usually upon an increase. I've not really had any other side effects other than some heightened anxiety when I increased too. But that soon went away. I'm still not 100% but much better. I want to increase even more but my GP wants me to stay on 75mg for now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information