Thread: Its ridiculous - but I need to ask...

Its ridiculous - but I need to ask...

I have a very irrational thought at the moment, thanks Google....

I have problems with my tongue, and have had for quite a few months.

It is often quite sore, and also I get a thick coating on it most of the time. I also then get black patches on it. Sometimes mainly down the centre, but also patches on either side. These patches are not sore, and it looks to me as if its the tongue coating with the black patches, not my actual tongue.

Have been to the doctor a few times to talk about this, and she gives me Nystin which sometimes does, and sometimes doesnt help.

Im using Nystin at the moment and my tongue seems to have more of a coating whilst using it. She seems to think its excess bacteria/fungal growth in the mouth.

There may be a reason for this, and that is I have a swallowing disorder, which I have had for over a year, so my diet is very limited and I probably am not getting the nutrients/vitamins/minerals that I need - However I do use complan daily and also take multi-vits in an attempt to give my body some goodness, however not sure if its enough. I am not really able to eat fruit/veg/meat etc due to difficulties in swallowing it.

So, I googled, and the reason for my posting is, HIV keeps popping up

There is no reason for me to think I have this as I have been in a relationship for 11 years, and as far as I know neither of us have been elsewhere, because we both know better, but it keeps rearing its ugly head and in the back of my mind its staying there somewhere and making me worry on and off.

I have diabetes so have blood tests every 3 months, including FBC and other bits and pieces, so this type of thing would eventually show up in a full blood count wouldnt it, ie in the white cell count, at some point?

I have also had various other blood tests over the years both in and out of hospital, so common sense is telling me that its nasty google making me worry ever so slightly, but I need a bit of reassurance on this.

I know I could ask the doctor for a test, but seriously it has to be so unlikely, I just dont like it when it keeps popping up on searches.

Also, whilst Im here, does anyone know how to sort out this tongue problem? I cant use mouthwash cos even the alcohol free one burns my tongue. I brush twice a day and use a tongue cleaner. I need a solution to the excess bacteria/fungus (yuk) that seems to be causing a problem, and wondered if there are any natural remedies that may work?

Thanks,

Daz.

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 ----------

Just thought id mention. I am using actimel and yakult at the moment in order to get some good bacteria into my system, and I havent asked the doctor for a test (HIV) because it looks like there is a 3-4 week wait for results and that would cripple me anxiety wise, but neither of us have cheated, we are together 24/7 so it wouldnt be possible in reality.
    Last edited by Dazza123; 30-06-13 at 08:08.

Re: Its ridiculous - but I need to ask...

If you are anxious you could have a blood test, but how likely is it that after 11 years with one person you would have no other symptoms?

The only thing I've heard of (which would be treated with Nystin I think) is something bizarre called Black Hairy Tongue. Have you tried googlong that instead of HIV/ AIDS?

My mam had black hairy tongue from some anti biotics. Can't remember whether she had to stop taking them, or take something else but it cleared up pretty quickly once she mentioned it to the doctor.

ANY symptom will trace back to HIV because it damages your immune system - if you have a cold HIV will come up - I've had this anxiety in the past but weirdly now I'm not worried by it - u won't have it for sure but go get the test so u can stop worrying x

No HIV would need a specfici antibody test, it wouldn't show up in routine bloods. However, what you're describing isn't a symptom of HIV. Yes people will be more likely to have this symptom when they have HIV, but it is not considered a sign. Colds and flu are common in people with HIV, but nobody usually has an HIV test when they have a cold. This is more likely due to oral hygeine. Try not to use antibacterial mouthwashes too often as these are some of the worst offenders for changing the oral flora.

I feel slightly better now, thanks. Will chat to my doc! Just started a new AD today so making me more worried and anxious than normal.

Thread Information