Thread: extremely changeable mood

extremely changeable mood

Hi

I've posted in the past about depression and anxiety, and since I've been a member of the forum, I've tried some different things to help myself - exercise, CBT, medication, hobbies and that sort of thing.

I used to take Citalopram, which I found useful to give me that extra little help along the way. I took it for about 3 years, and then unfortunately, I found that they didn't seem to help me as they used to,and I was creeping down into a big depression again.

I've got a great GP, and I went to speak with her about it at the time. We agreed to try a different medication - Sertraline. I've been taking this for about 5 months, but I'm not sure what to make of it -- more so, I'm not sure what to make of myself at the moment

Since my teens, I've had a streak of being irritable and 'moody', especially when I am depressed. But over time, my mood swings have started to get more intense. When I feel good, I feel AMAZING. But when I feel bad, I feel AMAZINGLY BAD! My mood can fluctuate - I can feel great, and then I feel creative and excited about the future, and make plans to do things. But then, its like falling off a horse, and its like its the end, and there is no hope, and no point, and it is all I can do to think straight.

Could the Sertraline contribute to this? Or is it just me? I've spent the past few weeks feeling like there is no point to anything, and all my usual depression symptoms take over. This is punctuated with short bursts of the total opposite, where I'm on cloud nine!

As well as this, I've become really absent minded, which is a problem when I'm at work. I don't feel like I'm there most of the time

Can you relate to this? What did/do you find helpful?

Thanks xxx

Re: extremely changeable mood

On what sort of time scale are your mood swings? I have intense moods as well and they can fluctuate throughout the day. I see it as a pendulum - when my mood rises, I get really happy that my mood is rising so I get happier and happier - then it drops a bit, and I get really unhappy about it dropping which pulls it down and down untill it turns the other way again. I think that's why it's a mood "swing".
    Depression causes absent-mindedness, I mope about wondering what I was doing a few seconds ago a lot.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Thread Information