Thread: post viral fatigue worries

post viral fatigue worries

I caught a viral chest infection four weeks ago which has left me with a cough. The cough is improving although it was so bad I've strained a lot of muscles in my chest and rib area. I then caught a horrible sinus / cold thing two weeks ago which on top of the chest thing left me totally wiped out. As well as that I was doing some extra work from home which meant I was working until midnight every night during the whole time I was ill. I also have a part tome job and two young children at home.

I now basically can't bounce back from this and am terrified that I have postviral fatigue syndrome which will turn into chronic fatigue and I am going to be ill for years :(

ME was one of my first health anxiety fears and has always been a bad one for me because of the way it is so debilitating for so many years.

I am exhausted most of the time, but it's much worse in the morning. I just sit there and feel like I don't have the energy to even get out of my chair when I'm supposed to be getting ready. This morning the kids have missed their swimming class because I just didn't have the energy to get them ready. My husband isn't all that much help and he works too so there is no chance for me to rest properly. I am afraid I have ruined my health forever and I am never going to come back from this. I just want my energy back so I can get on with my life :(

Re: post viral fatigue worries

Hi, your fear is perfectly reasonable because as you know, this often follows a chest infection BUT BUT BUT!!!!!

It's also perfectly normal to feel this way after a chest infection. You need to rest as much as you can (I know that isn't a lot but as much as you can manage) and drink lots of water, eat really healthily and try to get to bed at a good time; even if you don't sleep, you are lying down.

TBH it sounds as though you haven't taken time off when you needed to, it may be that this isn't possible for you but if it is feasible, try talking to your doctor and seeing if they will give you a week's sick note.

If you push your body too hard when it is sick, this will happen - and if you are like me, you can be too hard on yourself when you have a genuine illness to prove a point to yourself about the HA.

You have NOT ruined your health, you are recovering from a virus. I had something very similar years ago, with the same worries, and I did bounce back in the end, but i had to rest for a little while. xx

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

Oh - and instead of telling yourself you can't bounce back, reassure yourself that you can. Just picture yourself healthy again. Antibiotics really knock your system for six. You are probably already beginning to recover, you just need to watch for those signs instead of the others.

Thanks for your reply. I know I'm being kind of hysterical about this and I do need to rest. Have been trying to rest for an hour once the kids are in bed before doing the things I need to get done in the evening. I am really hoping that I get some energy back soon. I just want to sleep :(

Hi Cattia,
    You helped me when I posted about CFS do you remember?
    Seems we are twins with this particular fear?
    I don't think you have PVS or CFS/ME
    You would need: gastric problems, Urine problems, Sleep disorder, post exercise malaise, POTs, muscle aches, headaches, sore throat etc.
    I still think I may have gradual onset though!!
    I can't stay asleep, and feel really tired most days.
    I am sure you will be fine xx

Thread Information