Thread: Citalopram & propranolol side effects ???

Citalopram & propranolol side effects ???

Hi, was hoping for some help plz. Iv been on 10mg citalopram for 3 weeks now & 30mg propranolol ( 10mg 3xday )1 week. Has anyone else been on both & had side effects. I honestly feel yuck, feel like I'm going to pass out constantly :-( feel so lightheaded, dizzy & vision goes all funny.Also get a lot of nausea, hot flushes, sweats & feel hot & bothered quite often too. The citalopram is for anxiety & propranolol is for elevated heart rate ( had ECG last week ) my heart rate reduces with the meds but after 5 hours it's worn off & heart racing again !! I know everything takes time but feeling rubbish now & mornings are BAD.Got a phone appointment with my doc on Friday as I can't get in to see her until next Friday. Can anyone offer any advice or experience of these meds used together . Thank you Helen x

Re: Citalopram & propranolol side effects ???

Hi Helen,

I am citalopram (40mg) and have just been given propanolol 10-20mg 3 times a day as and when required.

The citalopram does take a while to get into they system and do it's job - can take up to 4-6 weeks, and the initial side effects are horrible. I don't know if the propanolol will give you side effects, I have only just started taking them and so far I haven't had any adverse reaction.

I would tell your doctor all of our symptoms when you chat to her.

Hang on in there, it does get better x

Thank u, I will do. Iv felt like this since starting the citalopram so guessing the propranolol might not be my problem. It's the lightheartedness & dizzyness I'm finding hard as it's constant :-( Helen x

Citalopram can give you lightheadedness, dizziness and a load of other side effects. Usually they fade with time. 3 weeks really isn't long enough for the side effects to go away - give it 2 months and I'm sure they'll be gone, or at least much reduced.

Everyone's experience is very different! Citralopram did not agree with me and made me feel terrible! The propanalol was great... Th

---------- Post added at 03:36 ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 ----------

Citralopram made me feel horrible... It didn't agree with me! Propanalol was amazing but gve me insomnia! I didn't take them together so I can't answer your original question sorry x

Everyone saying it is probably the Citalopram causing your symptoms and it may be but it could also easily be the Propanalol as that lowers blood pressure and decreases heart rate which could also make you dizzy and lightheaded.

Best ask your doctor, hope you feel better soon.

Thank u all, was the propranolol !! Been told to stop as blood pressure was getting too low on it x

Thread Information