Thread: Liver Ache Anyone ?

Liver Ache Anyone ?

Hi

I seem to have been experiencing what I can only describe as a dull liver ache, on the right side of my chest, just under the ribs.

I went out this weekend and overindulged and (thought I have had it before) it was back with avengance on Sunday afternoon.

Anyone else seem to get this after drinking ? I am, obviously thinking the worst.

Can you get trapped wind in that area (as in the bubbles in lager getting trapped there ??)

Anyone know what the prevalance of liver disease in this country is ? I do not think I have any of the other obvious signs (yellowing of the whites of eyes etc) but am still panicking !!

I am a 37 year old male, whom, it has to be said, enjoys a drink most nights. Though I have had this ache on and off for 3 or 4 months, last week I managed to go 4 days (doesn't sound a lot to most of you I know) without drinking alcohol at all and by last Friday, I was actually feeling quite good.

Needless to say, I am sitting here worrying myself sick.

Any reassurance GREATLY sought !

Many thanks
    Dave

Sounds a little like you've been overdoing it and your liver is saying "gimme a break". The fact that you say it started to feel better after a few days abstinance suggests it is the pop that is the problem......however

I can relate first hand to what you described and recently I have been feeling similar discomfort. As a result I found I wasn't enjoying a drink as much as I used to. Even a pint would make me feel bloated. I have cut back significantly over the last few weeks and do feel a bit better as you describe.

This weekend I probably drank more than in a long time; 4/5 pints strong ale and 3 glasses red wine Friday, 2 pints crap creamflow bitter, 6 bottles Stella and a couple of JD and coke Saturday and 2 pints Sunday and felt OK.

My belief is that it is two fold with alcohol intake being one and anxiety being the other. The two tegether exacerbate the situation.

I do wonder why "Liver Function" is listed in the health worries section and not say heart problems, blood pressure or cancer.

Laisez les bon temp roulez

Hi my brother is an alcoholic, and he suffers pain in the liver area.The doctor could actualy feel his liver was enlarged.He is 37.Your body is giving you warning signs to slow down.

Ellen XX

Hi, can't you get a liver test done? I was off work a couple of weeks ago and watched the Jeremy Kyle Show (what an eye opener!!) There were drinkers on there and they had a liver test done. It'll stop the worry and at least you'd know one way or the other.

I must admit, I'm a big binge drinker. I was 40 yesterday and I probably had about 7 pints (but i'm only a 5ft 2" female). I do drink most nights in the house, but I only drink Carling lager and never manage more than a couple of cans or so in the house.

I've had pains in the same area as you and been to casualty with them and every time I was told it was muscular skeletal and presribed pain killers. They tested me for everything so it put my mind at rest.

Les

Ma Larkin - Happy birthday for yesterday !

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Ma Larkin - Happy birthday for yesterday !

<div align="right">Originally posted by DMillbank - 10 October 2006 : 10:24:34</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Dave, see you in the Horse & Hound at lunchtime to toast Ms Larkin's Birthday?
    [)]
    E

Keep On Keepin On

Nice one Sheik !

My guy & i get this sometimes. We both drink a fair bit, not every night, but atleast 5 nights a week. Sometimes only 2 or 3 cans though. We go out on a bender every other weekend and always have that ache under the right ribs. He stopped drinking vodka for a while because he thought that made it worse. He thinks drinking little and often is better for your body than binge drinking but i dont know which is best.
    Im 35 & hes only 32 so its not even like we have old livers yet!
    Its an interesting topic.

Pete to win Big Brother 7

Thanks for the birthday greetings guys!! my headache has gone now haha!! Liver doesn't feel too bad at the moment!

Les

Thread Information