Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid fear of blue cheese!

Stupid fear of blue cheese!

I absolutely love cheese in its many forms and my all time fave was Blue Stilton. However, around 2 - 3 months ago I read that a few people who are allergic to Penicillin may also become allergic to blue cheese. (Something to do with Penicillium).
    I had my allergic reaction to Penicillin almost 8 years ago now and until these last few months I have ate blue cheese when I want and with no side effects whatsoever. Having read that on the net though I wont touch the stuff. Its not a big deal really as I don't NEED to eat it but I did really enjoy it and was wondering if there was any truth to this?

Re: Stupid fear of blue cheese!

I have not heard of this before, I am allergic to penicillin but I eat a lot of blue cheese (Danish blue mainly) and I have been fine upto now, like I say not been made aware of this but personally I will probably keep on eating the cheese, will probably mention to my doctor when I see him see what he thinks. xx

Oh I'm sorry, I hope I haven't spoiled it for you, I did read it on Google so could be a complete lie! And it wasn't professionals or anything was just people posting on sites.
    I do believe cheese would come with a warning though if it was possible in the slightest. My mind however would be playing tricks on me if I did eat it, same reason I daren't dye my hair because I will probably imagine my face swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    Oh I'm sorry, I hope I haven't spoiled it for you, I did read it on Google so could be a complete lie! And it wasn't professionals or anything was just people posting on sites.
    I do believe cheese would come with a warning though if it was possible in the slightest. My mind however would be playing tricks on me if I did eat it, same reason I daren't dye my hair because I will probably imagine my face swelling.

Don't worry KeeKee, I am going to continue eating it and like you say there would be more publicity about it if there was any truth in it. I have the hair dye allergy phobia too and even with allergy tests that are fine, still imagine being hospitalised when I have an allergic reaction to it. xx

I am allergic to penicillin and eat blue cheese so I am not sure there is any truth in this.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks, I may pluck up the courage to try it again soon. Along with dyeing my hair as my roots are laughable. Obviously will do it when my partner is off work hehe

I am allergic to penicillin as are all my sisters, and I have actually talked to my GP about this cheese connection. I am a vegan but my sisters are not - so it was agreed that whomever had the next opportunity to ask our GP would do so.

She assured me there is absolutely no connection between cheese and penicillin... and then she proceeded to say that it was an urban myth because basically penicillin is grown from "mould' and cheese is a " mould' ( as in rotten milk moulded into cheese) and there may be a misconception of the toxicity of "mould".

Either way I was glad to hear it and even happier that I don't eat cheese !

There is some small truth in this, but it is rather rare. I have read anecdotal reports of blue cheese allergy (as well as stilton and others using moulds). Penecillium is a fungus. Penecillin is an antibiotic produced by the fungus to kill bacteria. It is very unlikely to have penecillin in properly made blue cheese. Those who have reactions are generally allergic to the fungus. It is possible to be allergic to both, but as you've never had a reaqction before, there is no reason you should now.

I have a sensitivity to all cheese. If I eat any cheese or anything containing cheese I have significant depression and anxiety a few days later. This can last for several weeks.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, I was just wanting some 'real time' reassurance as I've had some Camembert in my fridge since Christmas it looks divine but I keep worrying about people being allergic to cheese mould (who are also allergic to Penicillin like me).
    I've ate mouldy cheese for years, I used to buy it pretty much every week and I doubt I'm allergic I just can't bring myself to eat it lately. Anyone else have a Penicillin allergy and likes Blue Cheese?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information