Thread: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone has tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? And, if so what their thoughts/experiences are?

Does anyone know how to go about getting it? Do I have to go to my GP to be referred?

Also does anyone know of any books which they have found helpful or useful in trying to stop their panic attacks? I am 100% sure I could beat this if only I could stop bloody thinking about it!!! I don't know whether this CBT malarky may help or not.

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks
    Rob

HI Rob,

CBT along with Meds is the considered the gold standard for getting better at present.
    You can either get referred by GP and wait to get it on the NHS or pay a private CBT therapist and get on with it.
    Some private therapists may want a GP referral and some won't.

For a big CBT Read ' Feeling Good' David Burns

For a a quick CBT read ' What to say when you talk to yourself' Shed Helmsletter.

and of course for panic in general any of the Claire Weekes books are a definate must read .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

hiya rob,

I;'ve had about a year of cognitive behavioural therapy now and have to say that it has been the most positive thing i have tried so far to get rid of my phoib of being sick and my panic attacks.

Basically on your first session the therapist finds out all about you, the second then consists of yuo making a list of all the avoidances methods you have for avoiding panic and she/ he helpes you to get rid of them. They ar there for you every step of the way- it really is great.

Your GP does hae to refer you unless you pay to go private0- the waiting list in most areas when you are reffered is usually about 8 weeks it is so popular so get down to your doctors- i would love to have someone to compare notes with.

Good luck with everything xx

H

The Priory do two good books with a CBT basis called Overcoming Panic and Overcoming Anxiety. You can probably order them online.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

I've tried CBT and found it very helpful. I was shocked by how well I responded and amazed myself with how much I was able to achieve.

What I would say is though, is that you do have to keep up the work on your own once the treatment has finished. I had an 8wk course and managed to go from only being able to travel in my own car (alone) as far as the next town (8miles) to being able to travel an hour by train with the therapist to London.

However that was over a year ago and I am now back to square one and starting right back from the beginning again. Not even able to get to the next town anymore.

Good luck and make the most of it.

Caroline

Hi All,

I have`nt personally been able to go the CBT route as of present, but hear that it is actually very good.

I have however been able to get and read the two books Emily mentioned. Agreed, good reads.

My understanding is that you usually, but not always need a referral. Unless like Meg mentioned above you were to go private with it. All up to the individual of course.

Robertomac............

I agree, I think we all could beat this thing if we could all just 'STOP THINKING' about it.

Meg.........

Thanks for the suggested reads.

HB...............

Sooooo glad that the CBT has worked so well for you.

Great to hear.

Take care all.

Hope everyone is doing well and anxiety/panic free.

Love Diana xxx

Thread Information