Thread: Issues with anxiety when leaving my home

Issues with anxiety when leaving my home

Hi everyone.
    I'm new to this site, just looking for helpful advice from anyone who suffers high levels of panic when they must leave home.
    The worst is when I have to go on an unexpected work trip, out to a last minute social gathering or trip out of town to see family. These should be happy things right?
    I just break down, I can't explain. I cry, get hives.. I just have to get home immediately. My boyfriend whom I live with is so supportive, but I know it's tough to deal with. I'm fine being home alone with out him, but I can't seem to be the one to leave. It's like my safe bubble.
    It seems to be getting worse lately, after we moved out of state last year.

Re: Issues with anxiety when leaving my home

Hi Jessica, I don't suffer from that but I see you are online so I thought I would say hi. (I am not usually awake at this time just before 4am here - but I woke worrying about my work situation.)

Gill x

Smile Re: Issues with anxiety when leaving my home

Hi Jessica, I also suffer from panic attacks when I have to leave home, I have been unable to go to work since may 2nd. I have been going out on occasion but have to take lorazepam to get me out of the house. I have anxiety/panic everyday even when I don't have to go out but it really rises if I have to, I have become semi agoraphobic. I am havering CBT at the moment have had two sessions but have not made any progress yet.
    I am unable to offer you advice but just wanted you to know you are not alone in this.

Re: Issues with anxiety when leaving my home

Hi Jessica
    I also have this same problem. I'm ok going to work, helped by the fact that it's only a two minute walk, but I can no longer walk into town or drive too far from home without the rush of panic that comes with it. Social gatherings are important to me, so I go when I can, but I spend most of the day or evening thinking 'I'm going to panic and embarrass myself in front of all these people' so the event is totally unenjoyable for me. I've had therapy and the best action for all these fight or flight responses is just to put yourself in that situation as much as possible and fight. Soon it will get better and you won't be thinking so negatively about the situation any more. Soon you will think - 'woo, a night out with friends!' instead. I'm still struggling but I'm persevering. Good luck!

Thread Information