Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: convinced its breast cancer :(

convinced its breast cancer :(

well here I am again after convincing myself last year I had a brain tumour cat scan was normal.

this issue started 9 1/2 weeks ago, mu upper left back felt as though it was burning, went to docs she said "it didn't fit in with anything she could think of " few days later the burning was in my armpit and left side of left breast, I didn't worry to much as had experienced the burning back in feb, however when it didn't disappear after a week, I went into panic mode
    from then up until now I have experienced

random shooting pains in left breast
    burning in left breast
    burning in armpit and underneath armpit on left side
    mild itchy left nipple
    my nipple doesn't look right (don't know if im imagining this though)
    shooting pains in collar bone- left side
    shooting pains down left forearm
    shooting pains under left upperarm
    left sided neck pain
    burning in upper left back

I have had 3 examinations from 2 different docs who all say they cant see / feel anything alarming.
    I have also had an examination by a homeothapist/gp who prescribed me something for breast pain but it didn't work

my doctor said because it has been more than 8 weeks she will refer me to breast clinic for reassurance, this does put my mind at rest for a little while but then my anxiety rockets again.

now half of me is thinking that if it was anything serious then in nearly 10 weeks there would be other signs/symptoms?

the pain isn't ever that bad - if it was cancer then im assuming the pain would be bad.

also if it was bc then surely the pains etc would have got worse

now there have been a few days in the 9 1/2 weeks when I havebt experienced any pain/discomfort, so im hoping that this is because I wasn't focused on it 24/7

I know I do have health anxiety but I am convinced it is bc :(

Re: convinced its breast cancer :(

Hi

I had to reply as BC is one of my main concerns but I'm sure you know that pain isn't associated with breast cancer unless it is very advanced.

Now bearing in mind you have had several examinations and not one but two doctors can't find anything concerning on three separate occasions I'm sure if you had very advanced breast cancer something would be amiss.

With your nipple, again they would have picked that up. I know what it is like to focus on your breasts and a few weeks ago I was doing exactly what you are doing now and I was convinced one looked different and I could see some lumpy bits, when I went to the doctor she said absolutely not they are fine.

Problem is we pay them too much attention and start to notice things that have always been that way.

The pain/burning could well be a muscle strain or even your anxiety. A few years ago I had a really bad spell of anxiety over Breast Cancer and I had pains in one of my breasts constantly. My doctor put me on meds because I was so convinced I had it and within a few weeks the pains went. I am sure that me constantly focusing on them and prodding and poking was causing them.

Even now if I go through a spell of checking too much I can guarantee I'll start getting random/shooting pains in one or both breasts and I think it's because I probably examine too much too hard and irritate the breast tissue.

I know this will not put your mind at rest but I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in this fear and I'm sure the breast clinic will reassure you.

The other thing I said to my doctor recently was I was concerned as I get pain in my breasts and one feels more tender than the other and her words were "pain is good" it is not a sign of breast cancer just a sign of normal glandular breast tissue.

Take care

I'm off to the breast clinic myself on Wednesday *sigh* I feel your pain! Pain actually isn't usually anything to worry about. Painless lumps are the most concerning and even then I know heaps of friends who habe had these and they've turned out to be cysts or breast tissue. I'm sure it's nothing but the breast clinic will be able to put your mind at rest. To be honest it sounds muscular or like an infection of some sort.

the pain doesn't seem very troublesome, if it was an infection im sure it would have got worse in nearly 10 weeks :( just so scared..
    thanks for your reassurance munchlet, the thing im worried about is , is the pain im feeling just below my ear.... is it spreading

Certainly sounds more muscular than breast related. I've never heard of pain in that area being connected with breast cancer in any shape or form.

If anything I think you have probably got a trapped nerve somewhere, that will cause all manner of pains, tingling and burning sensations.

I bet once you've been to the breast clinic all these funny aches and pains will settle down xx

My friend had a painful lump and they actually said it was a really good sign that it was painful. If you're focusing on the pain it could easily be muscle tension, it's amazing how much tension you can create without realising it.

I read somewhere that arm,neck and back pain are all signs that it is spreading to lymph nodes :(

Arm, neck and back pain are common symptoms of stress and anxiety. This is much more likely than anything more sinister given that you have had reassurance from more than one doctor. Tension in my neck sometimes spreads to just below my ear. I know it's hard when you get fixated on something like cancer but it's highly unlikely that this is your problem. I hope you get some reassurance from the breast clinic.
    Take care
    Sal

hope it is nothing xx

today has been a good day regarding the breast pain, however I have had a lot of neck pain I just cant win :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information