Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who have you told about ur anxiety & did it help?

Who have you told about ur anxiety & did it help?

Personally I have only told 3 people. My doctor, a psychiatrist and my mum. Sometimes I wish I could just tell everyone. I am not ashamed (ok maybe a little bit), I just think some people would get freaked out and that it's not fair to dump something like this on people. Also, I wouldn't want to be treated like some kind of mental case or the other extreme of overly sympathetic people which would undoubtably happen. On the other hand im sure it would take a huge weight off my shoulders as I spend alot of energy and worry trying to hide my condition from others. Im caught in the middle. I do think it's a good idea to tell people though, just the "right" people.

Hello confusedbylife, i really do,nt mind telling people about my anxiety,my family are very surportive ,and try to understand me i am not ashamed of how i feel just confused. The why me comes into my head alot, i would give anything to be normal[what ever normal is] but for now i know that i am not alone and i will baet this.Anxiety is a bully fight fight and you will win. we,re here for you. lorrainexx

I have told as many people as possible - anyone that's interested - not that i want to bore them, but you'd be amazed at how many other people out there are suffering from the same condition but are hiding away and feeling too ashamed to tell anyone how they're suffering.

Once I start speaking about it they can then open up too. Talking really helps and sharing experiences is helpful too, plus I found that while I was listening to other people's problems I thought less about my own and this has helped tremendously in my own recovery.

I told my sister and two very close friends. I recently told my boss and a close colleague who I really trust. They've all been really understanding. I haven't told my mum though. But I can never be sure of her reaction. She's very much of "its all your own fault", and "pull yourself together" type. She said years ago to me while I was signed off work with depression I should just pull myself together and I was making everyone else depressed too! So I guess I think carefully about who I tell.

My boss is great and my friends have been supportive. But like many other sufferers, I do not want people to think I am "just over-reacting" or going mad, or my judgment can't be trusted because of my mental illness. Mostly its lack of understanding that causes people to think this way. But it doesn't help if you tell the wrong one... I've been lucky (or careful).

Lisa.

Hi,its better to tell people,at least the ones closest to you.Then they can support you and be there for you.It would take a big wieght of your shoulders.
    Take care

Ellen XX

Hi, i've suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for 16 years now but I haven't really told anyone about how bad I sometimes feel. I tried telling my parents a while back that I felt anxious and had panic attacks but they weren't really interested so i've just kept it to myself. Lately i've felt very anxious and my partner just laughs and calls me a nutter so i've just suffered in silence telling myself it's all in my mind and I need to pull myself together but of course that never works.

"It doesn't matter who you are, it's what you do that takes you far"

Hello,

I've only been suffering for just over a week but I've been telling everyone. Although it can be a wee bit embarrasing, at least they know if I'm not quite right. Plus if you think about it, it would just be yet another thing to bottle away!!!

I was talking to a friend from work the other day and she told me she's been suffering for about 3 years but hadn't told anyone and she was glad she was finally talking to someone else who knew how it felt.

It's such a common thing nowadays, it's suprising how many people turn around and say 'Oh, I know how you feel, I get like that too!!'

Mo x

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn......

hi, i totally agree that it's good to tell people, i've told my mum, my close friends and my doctor and counsellor. it hekos to get things off your chest and there are so many people with this prblem you're bound to know a few people who have similar anxieties. hope this helps, take care x

I dont tend to tell people about my anxiety - i dont think its because im ashamed but because i think that i will never recover fully if people treat me differntly (i dont know if they will ) I find that i judge my "normality" on peoples reactions to me. I know that sounds pathetic but thats just what Ive always done. I tend to strive to talk more and be more confident socially as once upon a time I did come across as totally ignorant because i just wouldnt speak or express myself at all. Although i have come along way since then i do find it very tiring and am just not naturally confident at all. I so self conscious!

I worry about telling people because I dont think that they will under stand the true scale of things. I think some people will just think everyone gets anxious sometimes. Its not a big deal!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information