Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who have you told about ur anxiety & did it help?

I worry about telling people because I dont think that they will under stand the true scale of things. I think some people will just think everyone gets anxious sometimes. Its not a big deal!

don't know what is happenin but it keeps posting tiwce. Sorry

I find it very hard to open up to people. I even find it hard to open up on hear. Yesterday my manager wanted to talk to me to see how I was as there had been some (unrelated) problems at work. I ended up in tears and realised just how much I had let everything build up in me. I think it is important to open up to people, it's just so hard to though!!

Hi, I have told all my family and most of my older friends. I found telling them was the best thing I could of done, as now I don't have to hide my anxiety. For example, before I had told any of my friends and I got invited down the pub with them, I would be in a right state knowing that waves of panic would go through me and worrying whether I would be able to stay there until the panic subsided and was anybody noticing. After telling them, if I felt panicky, I knew that all I had to do was let them know I wasn't to good and I could leave. The fantastic thing about it, is that after I told them about it and I knew I wasn't "trapped" anymore, the panic attacks stopped in those situations.
    It is very hard to tell people about mental health problems especially if you're a bloke I believe, and I agonised over it for years, but I was forced to after things got so bad and I wish I had done it years earlier now...Rob.

The thing is that I wouldn't dare tell my family for fear of their over-reaction. I had some medical problems when I was younger and I felt smothered.
    As for telling friends, well theirs no one to tell really.

I've found its best to tell just people you deal with on a daily basis. When I first had this badly about 2 years ago, I felt really glad when I came out the other side and thought there was gonna be a new me! I told people the truth and hoped that would solve many problems for me. I have found that to be the opposite, especially from work colleagues. Any time I was off work with something trivial like a temperature etc there would be rumours flying that I had suffered ' a relapse' etc and when I returned to work the next day I would be questioned almost disbelievingly about why I had been off.A horrible feeling.I am sad to say some people actually seemed to get some humour out of my situation.

Family wise, my mum knows and has helped me out no end. My sister has too and they never pressure me into doing things i feel i cant - I wonder if Id have been so understanding if they had this and I didnt. I like to think so but I doubt I would have beem able to appreciate the full horrors of what its possible to go through with anxiety.

I've been thinking a lot lately about being more open with people but, as you've said missacorah, it has to be the right people. There's a particular person I work with who, I'm pretty sure, thinks that I don't like her. Have been contemplating telling her but not sure yet and not sure when to do it! I am gradually making some friends on the net and made it a point to tell two people yesterday from a friendship site about myself. One person has already written back and she was really positive so that has been very reasuring.

I live at my sister's house and she knows about my ups and downs but I would never tell my parents as they really wouldn't know how to handle it and would just add to the pressure and anxiety.

I guess it just goes to prove what I already thought. It seems to depend on the people you tell. Some can be immature and find it funny (I know the type) and some would be understanding. I think I need to tell some more people which would make things a bit easier but it always just seems so easy to put it off. I think it's more a guy thing, showing weakness and all that. I noticed a survey a while ago that said something like twice as many females attempt suicide than males, but only 20% of females are successful whereas about 80% of males were successfulif they attempted it. I found that quite striking. It confirms the fact that guys tend to bottle things up alot more until it's too late and then crack, whereas girls must see suicide attempt as a cry for help and more of a way to raise a flag for help. I know my sister attempted suicide twice, and is still here.

I do agree that men possibly do bottle things up much more than women. I definitely bottle things up. I had to have a chat with my manager at work last week about something completely unrelated but that has caused some stress and I ended up in tears. I didn't realise how much things had mounted up inside me until it all came flooding out! Afterward I felt a lot better.

hello all
    i seem to have a 6th sense about who i tell about my anxiety its kinda weird but the people ive told either have suffered from it thereselfs or know someone who has and are generally sympathetic .i find talking about it greatly helps me as im pretty insecure and a sympathetic ear is a great comfort .Most of my blood family apart from my wife and kids are dead thats what started my anxiety and panic in the first place. ive got a brother but he,s about as much use as a chocalate fire guard when it comes to understanding anxiety and as many of you know you cant keep burdening your husband or wife with yor problems as it wears them down,so i need to tell as many people who i think i can relate to other wise i think i would either end up in a phsyciatric ward or worse .This illness is a f..k..g nightmare pardon my french, so my advice would be dont bottle it up get it of your chest and keep using this website
    good luck everyone Mick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information